Thread: External table

Unanswered: External table

Hello All,

Can i get some help on external table in Informix?
    Does it load data from datafile ?

Thanks
    PD

Hi, it depends what you mean with an external table.
    What version of Informix do you have?

If it i sversion 9, you have the possibility to implement external tables with the Virtual table interface and Virtual Index Interface. All this is described in the manuals of virtual table interface.
    One implementation of th eVirtual table Interface, can be th eC-Isam datablade. If your external table is a C-Isam file, I would suggest you use this interface. it treats C-Isam files as it were tables.

If this is the case, yes you can load data from a data file with all load and unload tools, described in the migration guide.
    rws

Thank you, Guru

Hello Guru,

Thank you.

I am using IBM Informix Extended Parallel Server Version 8.32.FC2X4, since i have never worked on external table in previous version, i am having little difficulty in undestanding external table.
    I tried creating one, and found that if i create ext. table, with datafile and rejectfile mentioned, then when i insert data, it's in the seq. file.
    Now, as i understand from some reading that ext. table is used to load and unload both. So, that's where i am.
    I am searching thru' net and not getting exact details on the same.
    To thoroughly understand the use and what it is, what manual should i refer ? SQL ref and user have very less details on the same.

Regards,
    PD

Originally posted by Roelwe
    Hi, it depends what you mean with an external table.
    What version of Informix do you have?

If it i sversion 9, you have the possibility to implement external tables with the Virtual table interface and Virtual Index Interface. All this is described in the manuals of virtual table interface.
    One implementation of th eVirtual table Interface, can be th eC-Isam datablade. If your external table is a C-Isam file, I would suggest you use this interface. it treats C-Isam files as it were tables.

If this is the case, yes you can load data from a data file with all load and unload tools, described in the migration guide.

Hello - Coul dyou pls not call me GURU; I didn't choose the name ...

Anyway...
    I didn't know you were using XPS; This is a bit different than IDS. XPS doesn't use VTI or VII.
    Check out this manual:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/i...6521a-pdf.html

I got it from
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/i...ry/xps_83.html
    rws

Thank you rws,( does that sound better ?)

Yes, the manuals are much more informative than expected.
    I was looking for detail information like that.
    Thank you again.

Regards,
    PD

Great - rws sound better indeed...
    rws