Thread: SQL Replication

Cool Unanswered: SQL Replication

I am setting up a Snapshot replication and I want to make sure of something. I want to update the target database every minute with any changes that have been made. When the Snapshot agent runs does this lock the entire database so that no changes will be made? So once every minute will no updates be allowed?

Thanks
    Don

Re: SQL Replication

Snapshot Replication will send down the whole database to the subscriber or the whole publication you have set up. You should be using Transactional Replication which records changes in Publisher and sends down only the changes. If you use 'Native Mode' in your publication set, it will lock the tables you are publishing.

I would love to use Transactional. This is for a standby SQL server that will be used in case master goes down. The only reason I can't use Transactional is that a lot of the tables weren't designed with Primary Keys. One of the developers is going back and setting up the Primary Key constraint on all tables.

Thanks for your quick response.

Don

Originally posted by joejcheng
    Snapshot Replication will send down the whole database to the subscriber or the whole publication you have set up. You should be using Transactional Replication which records changes in Publisher and sends down only the changes. If you use 'Native Mode' in your publication set, it will lock the tables you are publishing.

Also, I have noticed on my test DB that the original size is 2.5 MB and the target DB is over 4 MB. Is this normal?

Don

Originally posted by joejcheng

For database that size, just DTS it. You don't need Replication.