Lightbulb Unanswered: ORA-01658 unable to create INITIAL extent

I have created a database where if i try to create a table it gives me the following error-

SQL> create table abc(a number, b varchar2(10));
    create table abc(a number, b varchar2(10))
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace SYSTEM

Can sbdy. plz explain this to me?
    Pooja

hi,
    you created a table in a tablespace. For storing the definition, Oracle needs to allocate space in the logical container tablespace and physically in the datafile on disk. The amount of space needed is declared in the definition of the tablespace, in the initial part.
    The error returned states that the datafile does not hahve enough space left to allocate the number of bytes requested in the datafile.
    Check the size of the datafile and the amount of free space and the extent allocation (is this unlimited or specified by a certain number)

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

yeah i get it....there's no space left but i've the autoec`xtend on so even that doesn't help...does it??? or maybe since we're jus' students we've been allocated a fixed quota and so it doesn't lemme use more space than what is alloted......thanx anyways,for ur help

Originally posted by evanhattem
    hi,
    you created a table in a tablespace. For storing the definition, Oracle needs to allocate space in the logical container tablespace and physically in the datafile on disk. The amount of space needed is declared in the definition of the tablespace, in the initial part.
    The error returned states that the datafile does not hahve enough space left to allocate the number of bytes requested in the datafile.
    Check the size of the datafile and the amount of free space and the extent allocation (is this unlimited or specified by a certain number)

Hope this helps

hi,

u can also try to expand the datafile manually to check if it is the quta they gave you.

Hope that helpes
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

hey,
    thanx a lot...yeah, it seems that it wudn't extend 'coz it was jus' the quota....
    btw, if I've absolutely no free space shud the dba_free_segments give me no rows or shud it gimme at least the tablespace name 'n show bytes column as 0 bytes?

Pooja

Originally posted by evanhattem
    hi,

u can also try to expand the datafile manually to check if it is the quta they gave you.

Hope that helpes

hi,

I am not sure but i would expect not to find any rows.
    But i am not able to check this, while i am using oracle 9i which doesn't seem to have the view.

Hope that helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst