Unanswered: creating listener??

I'm very new to oracle and I've installed Oracle 9i Developer Suite on my Windows 2000 Pro computer. When I try to login on SQL PLUS I recieve an error using scott/tiger
    ora-12560 TNS: protocal adapter error

I tried creating a listener through Net Configuration Assistant, but when I try to test a connection to the database, it says I don't have a listener. I also look in the Services through MMC and I can't find the listener there.

Can I anyone help me out here? I've re-installed Oracle 3 times already, and I'm still having this problem. I've looked all over google and I can't figure this out. I've been wanting to learn Oracle for months but can't seem to configure this correctly.

Any advice would be grateful

Hi,

you installed 9iDS. This does not contain a listener !
    Only the database software installs software to create and control a listener. So, in your case that 's not the problem.
    You do need a database though. You also need a tnsnames.ora and a sqlnet.ora. Those two can be created by the Net Configuration Assistant, but you need to know the name of the host where the listener is running and a port number (normally 1521) and a SID.

Do u have a database running somewhere and do u know the things needed ?

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst