Unanswered: Average of fields in a record

Hi.

I am looking for a simple way to average fields in a record..not rows, but fields, using a procedure. If one of the fields is null, then it needs to be excluded from the average.

Any ideas?

Help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks.

Nickie

Re: Average of fields in a record

Originally posted by ngillis
    Hi.

I am looking for a simple way to average fields in a record..not rows, but fields, using a procedure. If one of the fields is null, then it needs to be excluded from the average.

Any ideas?

Help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks.

Nickie
    If it is permanent table - you can use system tables (syscolumns,sysobjects) for creating dynamic query and calculating.
    But, I afraid, there is something wrong with db design if you need to do things like this.

Hi Snail.

Please explain. My tables are the results of survey information that is entered online by clients. I need to calculate the averages of groups of questions that they answered. One survey is one record in the database, which includes the groups of records.
    What would be a better way to do this? I can't change it now as the survey is live..but it would be helpful for future use.

I don't really know much about sysobjects. and help is not that helpful. Any ideas where I can get more information?

Thanks.

Nickie

I meant to say...

Whoops..where I said "One survey is one record in the database, which includes the groups of records." I meant to say the groups of questions.

Thanks.

Hello Nickie,

an easy way to calculate averages of certain fields would be

select (coalesce(field_1, 0) + coalesce(field_2, 0))/number_of_fields
    from table

BUT, this query will replace every NULL value with 0 (or every other number you put in the COALESCE statement).

Maybe this "workaround" will help out. If not post again!

Greetings,
    Carsten