Unhappy Unanswered: Media recovery errors - check what else

Every night I do a dump of our main production db and then shut down all our oracle db's (3 instances (PROD, TEST & SMART)) to do cold backups. Okay, so I'm paranoid , but the motto in our department is "If it can bite you in the A$$, it will."

We're running 8.1.7 on Win2K Advanced Server on a Dell 6300 dual P2x550, 2GB ram 3x38GB Raid 5 as OS and data vols.

So Tuesday morn, I come in and try to access test. Get initialization/shutdown in progress. Shutdown, restart srvc, mount db then try to open. Get media recovery error.
    run Alter db recover; Alter db open;. Comes up good, just a glitch. Right!

Wed morn come in. Get call from end-user can't get into prod. Get initialization/shutdown in progress. Shutdown, restart srvc, mount db then try to open. Get media recovery error.
    run Alter db recover; Alter db open;. Then check test. Same problem, but diff datafile on test from yesterday.

I suspect tweaking HD's pending failure on a 3 yr. old box. I'm having our main box builder do diags on 'em. Any other things I should be looking for? Anybody been here, done this?
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Re: Media recovery errors - check what else

Originally posted by jimpen
    Every night I do a dump of our main production db and then shut down all our oracle db's (3 instances (PROD, TEST & SMART)) to do cold backups. Okay, so I'm paranoid , but the motto in our department is "If it can bite you in the A$$, it will."

We're running 8.1.7 on Win2K Advanced Server on a Dell 6300 dual P2x550, 2GB ram 3x38GB Raid 5 as OS and data vols.

So Tuesday morn, I come in and try to access test. Get initialization/shutdown in progress. Shutdown, restart srvc, mount db then try to open. Get media recovery error.
    run Alter db recover; Alter db open;. Comes up good, just a glitch. Right!

Wed morn come in. Get call from end-user can't get into prod. Get initialization/shutdown in progress. Shutdown, restart srvc, mount db then try to open. Get media recovery error.
    run Alter db recover; Alter db open;. Then check test. Same problem, but diff datafile on test from yesterday.

I suspect tweaking HD's pending failure on a 3 yr. old box. I'm having our main box builder do diags on 'em. Any other things I should be looking for? Anybody been here, done this?
    I'd check the alert_SID.log files to try to pinpoint which spindle has the problem. Does the OS or RAID-5 have any logfiles? If so, check them.

I didn't think of the alert logs. Just looked at them and shutdown is clean and normal. Probably need to resize my redo logs at some point. The are changing fairly fast at some points of the day, but......

I checked the NT event logs, but didn't see any errors that are outside the norm in the past couple of days.

I'll have to check on logging the RAID. That is more of the box guy's specialty. (Several of us can build boxes, but we have one guy specializing in it so our backbone is consistent. )

Thanks.
    Jim P.

Good news The dbs came up clean today.

Found out late yesterday afternoon the someone had forgotten to load DiskKeeper and schedule defrags.
    The disk was 98% fragemented. Ran the built in defrag and diskkeeper will be loaded soon.

Hopefully that was what was causing the error.

But I'd still like to hear from the trenches if this happend to anyone else.
    Jim P.

Unhappy Re: Media recovery errors - check what else

Apparently the errors were what I suspected.

One of the drives in the RAID array yellow lighted over the weekend.

We have a replacement occuring today!
    Jim P.