Unanswered: db2 not responding

help! I have db2 workgroup server edition 8.1 no fixpaks on windows 2000 server. Once a day, during peak usage, nothing can connect to db2. It won't even let me connect in clp or do a db2stop. I have to kill the service and then restart it. I get timeout errors for my scripts in eventviewer but no db2 errors. No errors are logged to db2diag.log either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In order to configure DB2 properly, you must allocate enough resources for connections and applications. I would suggest running the Performance Wizard on the Control Center, which will do a good job based on the questions you respond to. Make sure you allocate a sufficient percentage of total system memory to DB2 in the wizard (usually at least 50% of total system memory).

Also, I would go to at least FP2. There are a huge number of fixes put into the frist 2 fixpaks.

Thanks for the response, is there much risk to installing fixpaks? This is a production server and am just a little leery. db2 support is suggesting I install fixpak3 and it's about 500M! Thanks again.

There is always a risk when installing service, but many times staying where you are is an even greater risk. The initial release levels without any fixpaks have a substantial number of bugs. Personally, I would not use a new release of major software in production until one or two fixpaks were released.

If you install the Fixpak, make sure you read the directions carefully, and perform all post Fixpak operations that are required.

I like to use Powerquest Drive Image so I can completely backup and restore my C drive if necessary.

Re: db2 not responding

Please make sure MAXAPPLS & MAXAGENTS are set with proper values.

mc

Originally posted by hobbsjas
    help! I have db2 workgroup server edition 8.1 no fixpaks on windows 2000 server. Once a day, during peak usage, nothing can connect to db2. It won't even let me connect in clp or do a db2stop. I have to kill the service and then restart it. I get timeout errors for my scripts in eventviewer but no db2 errors. No errors are logged to db2diag.log either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.