Thread: Work Files

Unanswered: Work Files

Can't find an answer on the internet, or in documentation, so hopefully someone out there knows the answer.

Why does SQL Server create workfiles as opposed to worktables? When does it decide to use one and not the other.

Also, is there a variable which determines the destination of these workfiles?

Thanks in advance ...
    Regards
    Dbabren

Your query is not clear, what do you mean by workfiles?
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Satya

I am assuming (based on Ingres and Oracle experience) that these workfiles were what SQL Server used for sorting and aggregate functions when they became too big to fit in physical memory.

The reason I pose the question is because I am evaluating a monitoring tool, which has worktables and workfiles in the same performance graph (assume they are related then?). I am happy that worktables are temp sort areas in tempdb, but do not know what these workfiles are? - which brings me back to my initial assumption.

I cannot find any ref to them in BOL but I have found them mentioned in MS Support Site - but no real detail.

Does this clarify my question?
    Regards
    Dbabren

To close the subject, I have finally found an answer.

Tempdb is a general store for a lot of different types of data, e.g.
    spools, cursor worktables, sort worktables, hash tables (workfiles), create index w/sort_in_tempdb, etc.

Workfiles are used for temp record storage during hash operations. They are created in memory but can overflow or spill to disk (to tempdb, not to separate OS-level files).
    Regards
    Dbabren