Earth | North America | United States | California | Long Beach

Unanswered: Intranet Linking

I am attempting to link to a csv file that is located on our Intranet. This files Intranet address does not change but, I need a live link because the data will change.

I am not quite sure if this can be done from within Access. I am running Access 2000.

Can anyone give me some tips on executing this?

Thank you.
    Jack

you mean a button on an access form that will open up a specific application/file?

Well, for me the ideal situation would be a linked table like I currently do with other databases and Excel files. This of course would be the easiest for me.

Basically, the csv file has the most current information and I need to take that file and update my database with the new data.

I would like to implement this as automatically as possible (ie little user intervention)

Jack

Originally posted by sillysod
    you mean a button on an access form that will open up a specific application/file?

i suspect you will run into trouble.

.csv is about as far away as you can get from a multi-user file format: if you are playing with the file in a link, whatever process tries to update the file risks disapointment.

if you must use .csv, i think you are going to need a refresh-data button and import (not link) the .csv (with appropriate loops and error trapping in case the .csv is currently locked in an update process).

izy

I understand your point about the locking. Although I believe that the owner updates the file on her desktop and then ftps the file to the Intranet location. Ahh but now as I write that comment, I see your point, she may not be able to overwrite the file if I am viewing it.

So...the refresh data button is the best idea at this point.

Can you help me with the code that would grab this csv from a web address (Intranet address)?

Many thanks!

Jack