Unanswered: Update field from related file

I have three files. They use key values to link them together. In the first file we have a bunch of records listing my employees. The second file lists the times they are scheduled to work. The third database keeps track of shifts, linking the two together. Each employee has a WorkerID and each shift has an EventID.

When i schedule a worker in my schedule database (2), it updates the third shift database, so the portal in the worker's record updates displaying their shifts.

I accomplish this by making the key field be looked up when a name is selected. The problem is that when I am in my schedule database and change a scheduled worker, the 'intermediary' shifts database updates the name but not the key value. How do i force it to re-lookup that value whenever the name field is changed, either hard coded in or from the events database.

The key is not to have to manually edit the third, intermediary shifts database by hand at all.

Thanks in advance! Respond with questions if i have not explained this well.

John

Post Re: Update field from related file

This attachment may help you. It is an inventory sample file that I posted on another forum that updates records in related files. This done mainly through script. Hopefully this will give you some insight. MAKE sure to click on the ? button in the main form to get instructions on how to use.
    Good luck

Originally posted by johncreswell
    I have three files. They use key values to link them together. In the first file we have a bunch of records listing my employees. The second file lists the times they are scheduled to work. The third database keeps track of shifts, linking the two together. Each employee has a WorkerID and each shift has an EventID.

When i schedule a worker in my schedule database (2), it updates the third shift database, so the portal in the worker's record updates displaying their shifts.

I accomplish this by making the key field be looked up when a name is selected. The problem is that when I am in my schedule database and change a scheduled worker, the 'intermediary' shifts database updates the name but not the key value. How do i force it to re-lookup that value whenever the name field is changed, either hard coded in or from the events database.

The key is not to have to manually edit the third, intermediary shifts database by hand at all.

Thanks in advance! Respond with questions if i have not explained this well.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files