Unanswered: SQL Server redirect problem

Hi All,

I need your help urgently. I am using SQL Server. First i try to explain what i want to do. Imagine a warehouse having thousands of books or whatever. Sometimes multiple copies of same books can be on the same shelf but its also possible that 10 copies of a book are placed in 10 different shelf means one book per shelf. So i am writing program to pick location for orders received. My progarm works fantastic if a customer order single copy of any number of differnt books. But if a buyer order a 5 copies of the same book and if first location my progarm picked has only 1 or any number less than actual quantity ordered then my program fails to pick second or third location.
    I am Using a cursor to fetch and process every single order and execute a stored procedures to pick location and update inventory. I want that after it has picked first location program should run last step without with same values in cursor but one updated value: (just want to redirect to last step) In VB we can use rst.Requery but what about SQL server

Following is a my code

CREATE PROCEDURE OPENCRSR2

--parametes needed to birng orders info in to program
    @var_orid varchar(25),
    @var_itemid varchar(25),
    @var_sku Varchar(25),
    @var_qtsold numeric(9)

AS

--variables to store fetched info from tables

Declare @var_shelf numeric(9) ,
    @var_dateadded smalldatetime,
    @var_qtonhand numeric(9),
    @var_sporder varchar(25),
    @var_supplier varchar(25),
    @var_qtstore numeric(9)

DECLARE CrsrInside CURSOR FOR

SELECT Min(A.Shelf), A.DateAdded, Sum(A.QuantityOnHand) FROM UniversalBooks.dbo.tblInventory AS A
    WHERE ((A.ISBN) = @var_sku AND (A.QuantityOnHand>0)
    AND (A.DateAdded=(SELECT Min(B.DateAdded)
    From UniversalBooks.dbo.tblInventory as B
    WHERE ((A.ISBN =B.ISBN) AND (B.QuantityOnHand>0)))))
    GROUP BY A.DateAdded, A.QuantityOnHand

OPEN CrsrInside

FETCH NEXT FROM CrsrInside
    INTO @var_shelf, @var_dateadded, @var_qtonhand
    --SELECT @var_sku as ISBN, @var_shelf as Shelf, @var_dateadded as Dateadded
    EXEC de_fetchstage2 @var_sku, @var_shelf, @var_dateadded, @var_qtonhand OUTPUT, @var_sporder OUTPUT, @var_supplier OUTPUT

--SELECT @var_qtonhand as QtAvialable

IF @var_qtsold > @var_qtonhand
    BEGIN
    SET @var_qtstore = @var_qtsold - @var_qtonhand
    SET @var_qtsold = @var_qtonhand

--Following excute statement will insert picked shelf and other info into different table and subtarct quantity sold from quantity on hand but still i have few books to be picked for same order and @var_qtstore has that number i want cursor should use same varibles but new value from @var_qtsold which has the number of books to be picked(after execute Statement)

Exec de_insertstage3 @var_sku, @var_shelf, @var_dateadded, @var_qtonhand, @var_sporder, @var_supplier, @var_orid, @var_itemid, @var_qtsold

SET @var_qtsold = @var_qtstore

--**** HERE I want to redirect my code to start from the current if statement instead of starting from next fetched cursor
    END

ELSE
    --REST OF THE CODE

--SELECT @var_sku as ISBN, @var_shelf as Shelf, @var_dateadded as Dateadded, @var_qtsold as Qtsold,
    @var_qtonhand as QuantityAvailable, @var_sporder as OrderNumber, @var_supplier as Supplier
    END

CLOSE CrsrInside

DEALLOCATE CrsrInside
    GO

Any help will be appericiated

Thanks in advance
    Dev
    Thanks in advance
    Devinder

Howdy

"All problems are hard before they become easy" Albert Einstein

Sounds to me like you shoudl split your program into a number of logical book selects based on the number of items required.
    E.g. if you have 5 items required, create 5 steps dynamically, complete that step, then move onto the remaining 4 steps etc , gradually stepping through the steps until the order is filled.

That way each steap has rollback error correction and even if you need 5 copies of same book, each copy of the same book is treated as a logical step so the program doesnt care if it is the same as the previous book.

That should work.

More work for you but thats life.

Cheers

SG

Hi SG,

Thanks for your reply.
    This idea came to my mind before but i decided to keep it as my last option i am sure there must be some way to do this without breaking it in to number of logical records. 'Coz i alreadyw wrote this code in VB and i used "Rst.Requery" and it works fine. But in T-SQL i not sure which syntax to use. feel free to post more ideas.
    Thanks in advance
    Devinder