A lot of programmers in Access are teaching themselves how to do it by trial and error. I'm posting this to save a lot of headaches for you and your antecedents.

Having been there and done that, picking up a db and trying to work with this piece of %#@^%$ after someone has left the company. I've run into ones that were so badly programmed it was easier to build a new one from scratch.

I want to point out some ideas you should consider when designing your db's. Mostly on naming conventions.

1. Don't use spaces in field names, table names or object names unless you ABSOLUTELY have to do so.

I set my personal standard as tables and fields being connected by an underscore, i.e. People_Table, First_Name. If you want friendly titles for for reports and forms put it in the description in the table design.

2. For variables in modules I use an uppercase/lowercase format such as FirstName, IndexNum etc.

3. Preferably for number variables and field names use "Num" instead of "No". "Soc Sec No" as a field name, if you forget the brackets, is a killer. Where "Soc_Sec_Num" means you don't really need to watch the brackets.

4. Beware that just about every character above the numbers on your keyboard has a special meaning. Be careful of using them in in field names and variables. "Dim Profit$ As Double" messes with Access. The double means it is a number. The $ indicates it should be String.

5. Use fairly descriptive names for variables. Does "Left(strFN,1)" mean much to you? I found that in code one time. I read as get the left most character from string function. The strFN was actually "string First Name".

6. If in doubt about a variable name, go to the debug window (<CTRL>+G), type in the variable name, select it, and hit <F1>. If you get "Keyword Not Found" you are generally good to go.

7. COMMENT, COMMENT, COMMENT. And when you think you have enough detail in your modules to describe your logic, and reason for doing something, have someone else read it. I've even improved my own coding by explaining why I coded this way and realizing I'm going the long way of doing something.

8. Use the forum for the toughies, but remember http://support.microsoft.com is free. And they actually have some interesting code there.

Note that this is just my $0.02. But I've been in the trenches with Access for over 7 years starting with Access2.