Unhappy Unanswered: Database Structure problem - Friday feeling blues!!

Hi Folks!

I've noticed that the database I'm working on is not working the way I expect it to (this is undoubtedly the Friday feeling that turns our brains into mush!!).

I am creating a fairly average database using multiple tables linked together.

I want to link them all together using unique"ID" fields as primary keys.

The problem I am encountering is that with the fields linked together using these Primary Key Fields, when it comes to viewing and entering data into the fields using a form, they display and expect the Primary Key field data, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc rather than the actual text info stored in another field that the numbers represent.

This is probably a very basic question and I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but it's driving me bonkers!!!

Can anyone out there tell me how to overcome this problem!

Cheers,

Luke

I'm assuming that in your multiple tables, the unique ID 1 has a uniform representation of text, i.e., one central table with IDs and their descriptions.

You probably want to use DLookup([LookupValue], [Source], [Criteria]) using the primary key as the Criteria, your central ID table as the source and the textual representation as the LookupValue (field).
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Thanks for the tip there!!!

I'll have a look into "DLookup" right away!

Cheers,

Luke