Angry Unanswered: failed to restore db2 database from windows to AIX

Hello,

I made a backup db2 database on windows, and could be restored to create new database or replacing existing one on other windows machine. But it failed to restore on AIX, which has the same version 8.1 DB2/UDB. The only error message is cannot find the backup image with certain timestamp. Obviously, it is not, because I run the same command on windows and succeed. I wonder if DB2 allow restore database on heterogenous OS.

I'd appreciate your ideas,
    christine

You can only restore a backup within each of the following groups:

1. AIX, HP/UX, Solaris

2. Linux (Intel)

3. Windows

Hi,
    Sorry, but, the backup are INCOMPATIBLE between OS.

Only can make your DDL a recreate the object in the DB source, and import/export.

Abel.

Unhappy

thank you for your replys, and suggestions. But is there any confirm proof from IBM, that I can show to my boss? oh, that is so painful to recreate the whole database rather than just run restore command.

thanks,
    christine

Originally posted by achiola
    Hi,
    Sorry, but, the backup are INCOMPATIBLE between OS.

Only can make your DDL a recreate the object in the DB source, and import/export.

Abel.

You mean your boss does not believe me? Send me a message through this forum and I will straighten him/her out.

I assume you know about the db2look command to re-create the DDL.

This information say me "IBM Support" by TE, I look up 3 month ago in the IBM site, but not find nothind.

As experience can count you that it is sufficient laborious.

first, generate the DDL (see the command db2look)
    Second, export the data (whitn the command export o other), table by table.

and, import the data in the source.

thank you, I guess I will do that as you suggest. and I've got more objects to take care.

Originally posted by achiola
    This information say me "IBM Support" by TE, I look up 3 month ago in the IBM site, but not find nothind.

As experience can count you that it is sufficient laborious.

first, generate the DDL (see the command db2look)
    Second, export the data (whitn the command export o other), table by table.

and, import the data in the source.

check the following links:

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...d2w&fn=1003969

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=r0001976.htm

Snippet from the doc for restore command (v8):

To make a copy of a database created on a different workstation |platform, use the db2move utility. A different platform means either a |different operating system, or word size (that is, 32-bit or 64-bit), or |both. You can restore databases created in 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit |Windows platform, or the reverse. Database backups created on AIX, HP, |and Sun operating systems, each in either 32-bit or 64-bit, may be restored on |AIX, HP, and Sun operating systems, each in either 32-bit or 64-bit. |You can restore databases created in 32-bit Linux to a 64-bit Linux platform, |or the reverse.

Thanks a lot. DB2LOOK does catch all DDL including trigger and functions, but when trigger and function cannot be build by just running the script. Is there any other handy tool to import them?

Originally posted by chuzhoi
    check the following links:

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...d2w&fn=1003969

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=r0001976.htm

Snippet from the doc for restore command (v8):

To make a copy of a database created on a different workstation |platform, use the db2move utility. A different platform means either a |different operating system, or word size (that is, 32-bit or 64-bit), or |both. You can restore databases created in 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit |Windows platform, or the reverse. Database backups created on AIX, HP, |and Sun operating systems, each in either 32-bit or 64-bit, may be restored on |AIX, HP, and Sun operating systems, each in either 32-bit or 64-bit. |You can restore databases created in 32-bit Linux to a 64-bit Linux platform, |or the reverse.

Check the tool: db2move

db2move only work for tables and load data, not triggers and user defined functions.

Originally posted by dlafreni
    Check the tool: db2move