Unanswered: Paradox db conversion confusion...

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance but im new to paradox databases.

I am trying to export the data from a paradox database to either a CSV or Access, the problem im haveing is that it seems that not all data is being transferred in the export.

I think it may be due to the data found in the files with the extensions .mb .px .xgo .ygo etc.

Can anyone please help and explain how to successfully convert these paradox tables into Access data.

I hope all of the above makes sense

Thanks in advanced.
    Smiggy

The x and y files are merely indices which won't and need not be exported.

The mb files are memo files which are stored apart from the main table and are problematic if they are larger than 256 characters of Text.

The simplest way to export it to dbase and then import the dbase file from access. By the way why do you need to import it into access, probably a step down in functionality.

Hi thanks for the quick reply, i only need to transfer the DB to access simply beacause im more experienced at using Access.

Looks like i would be better off purchasing a paradox manual and changing my 'Microsoft' Ways.

I think ive found the cause of my problems (which was why i was trying to transfer to access), looks like the origional dbase programmer has possibly encrypted some fields so as not to easily recreate the dbase relations on the tables i have

For example in two tables each having a field called productID, one table will have the Record - 6i96LG whilst the other table will have the record 16iG69 - these 2 tables should be linked via this field but obviously cannot be due to the different data.

Is this something that will be done within paradox or will it probably need a software de-crypter. Im loosing my hair on this, hope you can help (if this made sense

Thanks again for replying
    Smiggy

Unless you can figure out the algorithym you can not easily decode them in paradox. If you can it will be simple.

If the tables are linked elsewhere (either in query's or datamodels you should be able to decipher the link by looking at those relationships under design mode for forms or queries or in information structure.

Finally if they are linked in a particular form you can write a script which creates a tcursor and goes down the list of both tables and creates a new id that is identical for both files which can be used to link them.

Without seeing the tables myself that's about the best direction I can give you given your problem.

Lonnie