Unanswered: Paradox 7 GPF in PXSRV.DLL

Since I'm having trouble converting a Paradox 7 DB to Paradox 8, I thought I'd try to install Paradox 7 instead. The computer I'm using is running WIN98 and hasn't had any version of Paradox installed on it previously.

I'm getting a GPF when I try to close Paradox. It's in module PXSRV. It completely hangs the system and I have to reboot.

Is there any chance of getting PDX7 to run on WIN98?

I remember myself running PDX7 on Win98 without difficulties, what are the problems you're experiencing?
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

By the way, you don't need any conversion at all for using PDX7 tables in PDX8, since table format has remained the same.

As for Forms and Reports, open then in PDX8 and save them and they'll get converted.
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

Wink

First try the usual things. Restart the computer. Be sure that the prior version works great. Then restart again and try the newly-installed one. Basically what you are doing is minimizing the chance that one version is "seeing" the other. You're also making sure that there is not some residue lying around in-memory following the installation process.
    I can say definitively that several versions of Paradox can, indeed, coexist on the same machine. What you are trying to do, should work.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Lightbulb

That's a really important point. You really shouldn't have trouble using v7 stuff with v8. Maybe the problem that's surfacing in your attempts to run v7, really is just the same root-problem that prompted you to try installing v7 in the first place (as an attempted solution to it).
    Also: there are TWO version-7's! One is 16-bit; the other is 32-bit. You want 32.
    Definitely "play your cards loosely" when dealing with this problem.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com