Unanswered: What are MDE files used for?

Hi

I have asked previously the use of an MDE file and received the answer that an MDE file can be opened on a computer that does not have Microsoft Access installed. I have created a database, converted to MDE and am now trying to open the MDE on a computer without Access.

I can't! Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dan

Re: What are MDE files used for?

MDE makes your vb code into a compiled executiable, compacts it's size and prevents changes to code, forms or tables. See Access Help >MDE>About MDE to find out about specific limitations.

Originally posted by sugarflux
    Hi

I have asked previously the use of an MDE file and received the answer that an MDE file can be opened on a computer that does not have Microsoft Access installed. I have created a database, converted to MDE and am now trying to open the MDE on a computer without Access.

I can't! Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by RickKnight; 10-05-03 at 08:51.

So it doesn't allow use of a database on a computer that does not have Microsoft Access?

If not, do you know if there is any way to do this?

Thanks

Dan

Your right, the user must have Access to run the MDE. I solve the problem by writting the front end (User forms) in visual basic and use the Access as the database. I compile and package the VB with all supporting controls, the db and the ODBC I've created (ADO etc) and install the applications on the users machines. This way all users with this vb application can use the db. This is a lot less expensive to do (licensing fee's) across many systems.

Originally posted by sugarflux
    So it doesn't allow use of a database on a computer that does not have Microsoft Access?

If not, do you know if there is any way to do this?

Thanks

Dan

Thanks! I will look into doing it this way...!

Dan