Unanswered: Can I normalize with checkboxes?

Hello.

I'm trying to create a database that will give users the following form to work from:

Name (viewing one person at a time)
    Mickey Mouse

***I can't make the spacing post right, but two columns:***

Classes (ALL) Completed
    Walk [X]
    Run [X]
    Jump [ ]
    Fly [ ]

It's pretty simple, until I try to normalize!! Help!!!!

I'd like to be able to add to or change the class lineup in the future. Is it even possible to normalize using Access and have output like I've shown above?

Here's basically what I've tried:

Table: Student
    *StudentID Autonumber
    Name Text

Table: Classes
    *ClassID Autonumber
    Classname Text

Table: Classesperstudent
    *CpsID Autonumber
    StudentID Number
    ClassID Number
    Complete Yes/No (I've tried without this field too)

I've related the tables like (can't get this to display properly here, so bear with me):

Student
    --(1)StudentID
    |
    |
    |Classesperstudent
    -->(many)StudentID
    -->(many)ClassID
    |
    |
    |Classes
    --(1)ClassID

In other words, the "Classesperstudent" table sits in between the other two tables.

I'm normalized with this design. I can use a combo box to "pick" completed classes from the pull-down combo box.

However, I REALLY need the output to show one student at a time, showing ALL OF THE CLASSES required, and then a field or checkbox after each class indicating a yes or no.

I need the user to be able to open the form, scroll through students one at a time, and see which classes they have of all the required classes. The user can also check the box when a class gets completed.

I've about decided that it just isn't possible: either I can normalize and not have the format I need, or I can get the format I need and not worry about normalizing and changing the class lineup in the future.

Please offer your input! Is there a way to do it, or am I wasting time trying?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by AccessOry; 10-06-03 at 13:04.

Looks to me like you have the right design ... And those tables are in 3 normal form ... Your problem: Where is the table with the required classes for each curriculum?

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the curriculum....should I add another table?

Please note, however, that every student (in my case) has the same curriculum: all must complete all of the classes.

As a separate sidenote, I originally was trying to add a "certificate" table. There would be 3 certificates, each certificate requiring a set of classes. If all the classes for a cert are done, the cert is "completed"...otherwise, "in progress".

However, I dropped that idea for now since I'm struggling just to display the all classes automatically for each student with a yes/no checkbox.

Suggestions very appreciated! Thanks for the response.

Regarding the curriculum....should I add another table?
    That depends on what the function of the Classesperstudent table is supposed to be ... Is it the current classes of the student? If yes then you need a curriculum table enumerating the required classes for that curriculum. As for a Certs table, likewise - a separate table enumerating the certs for each class (if any) ... Then it's simple to tie those back to each student with the appropriate table ....

You are making a very complex database ...

Originally posted by M Owen
    You are making a very complex database ...
    Darnit....I hate when that happens, lol .

Actually, that's why I dropped the certificate idea.

I simply need to display ALL classes when browsing each student, and have a checkbox for yes or no on each class. The classperstudent table is strictly to help me to try to normalize.

Basically, I need a way to list the entire set of required classes as I browse each student......and have a checkbox showing after each class for yes or no. All students will need all classes.

Can you provide more info on what I might need?

THANKS for your replies !!
    Last edited by AccessOry; 10-06-03 at 14:08.

Go with the curriculum table idea ... And go with the class table listing idea tied to the curriculum tied to the student discipline ...

OK....i'll try it.....thanks.

I'm not quite clear on how it needs to be set up, since all classes are required of all students.

Help please.

Can you be more specific in your suggestion?

Thanks!