Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6

    Red face Unanswered: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    hi ,

    i am facing a performance problem with oracle8.1.6 in solaris8 . my SGA size is hardly 148MB . but whenevr client starts login i observe each client creates one oracle process in the server each consuming 196 MB memory (while seeing thro prstat command).
    my question is all the clients process should share the same SGA , which is not taking place . All the clients are creating one indivisual process each consuming 196 MB RAM.Now oracle consume @91% of system RAM while observing by "prstat -t" command. Can any one help me out from this .

    regds,

    Amitabh Talukdar
    chennai, India

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    112

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by atalukdar1
    hi ,

    i am facing a performance problem with oracle8.1.6 in solaris8 . my SGA size is hardly 148MB . but whenevr client starts login i observe each client creates one oracle process in the server each consuming 196 MB memory (while seeing thro prstat command).
    my question is all the clients process should share the same SGA , which is not taking place . All the clients are creating one indivisual process each consuming 196 MB RAM.Now oracle consume @91% of system RAM while observing by "prstat -t" command. Can any one help me out from this .

    regds,

    Amitabh Talukdar
    chennai, India
    The prst -t command report the total per user, so your clients are using 196 - 148 M.

    Hope this help you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by ndu35
    The prst -t command report the total per user, so your clients are using 196 - 148 M.

    Hope this help you
    hi ndu ,

    thanks for your reply but one thing is not clear to me , instead of sharing SGA , clients are creating indivisual processes each consuming 196 MB RAM .Can you clarify this ...

    regds,

    AMitabh Talukdar
    chennai

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    112

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by atalukdar1
    hi ndu ,

    thanks for your reply but one thing is not clear to me , instead of sharing SGA , clients are creating indivisual processes each consuming 196 MB RAM .Can you clarify this ...

    regds,

    AMitabh Talukdar
    chennai
    Try to use : /usr/ucb/ps aux|grep oracle${ORACLE_SID}

    replace $ORACLE_SID by your SID and look after column SZ (size)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by ndu35
    Try to use : /usr/ucb/ps aux|grep oracle${ORACLE_SID}

    replace $ORACLE_SID by your SID and look after column SZ (size)
    hi ndu ,

    thanks for your help , "/usr/ucb/ps aux"is also showing 199856KB per {oracle sid} processes. but i am still confused why every user is taking so much memory , it should share the SGA instaed ?

    regds,

    Amitabh Talukdar

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    112

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by atalukdar1
    hi ndu ,

    thanks for your help , "/usr/ucb/ps aux"is also showing 199856KB per {oracle sid} processes. but i am still confused why every user is taking so much memory , it should share the SGA instaed ?

    regds,

    Amitabh Talukdar
    Differents parts of oracle client process are
    program instructions. initialized data, uninitialized data, stack,
    The unused space in between the stack & the uninitialized data which shrinks as the stack grows and/or uninitialized data becomes initialized.

    I don't think that a client have its own SGA. But some parameters are influencing size of client process such as sort_area_size.

    Are you using MTS ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6

    Re: performance issue of oracle8.1.6 in solaris8

    Originally posted by ndu35
    Differents parts of oracle client process are
    program instructions. initialized data, uninitialized data, stack,
    The unused space in between the stack & the uninitialized data which shrinks as the stack grows and/or uninitialized data becomes initialized.

    I don't think that a client have its own SGA. But some parameters are influencing size of client process such as sort_area_size.

    Are you using MTS ?
    hi ,

    thanks for youe reply . we are using here Schlumberger Geoframe4.0.4 with oracle8.1.6 . I have checked , my sort_area_size & sort_area_retained_size are 655360 bytes each. so every user process should not take 196MB of server memory ,it should have share the SGA defined in the server infact.

    regds,

    Amitabh

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    1,137
    The SGA is always shared (otherwise my server in deep trouble cos its got 80 processes each using 800M and there is only 2GB of RAM : ) ). The memory stats you are seeing are showing the memory consumed by the process + the shared memory of the SGA. To calculate real process memory used use the formula ndu35 listed.

    Alan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •