Unanswered: Using "Alter Table" after "Select Into"

Using "Alter Table" after "Select Into" a temporary table does not seem to work. Here's my code in VB:

rstemp.Open "Select Top 0 " & mstrPrimaryKey & " into #tmpDumpReport From " & mstrTableToProcess & "", gcnProj, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
    gcnProj.Execute "Alter Table #tmpDumpReport " & _
    "ADD ColumnNm VARCHAR(30) NULL, CurrentValue VARCHAR(255) NULL, SequenceNbr INT NULL "

This generates an error at the "Alter Table" statement saying that #tmpDumpReport does not exist in the database. I don't understand since "Select Into" should've created a table in the database.
    The following works though.

rstemp.Open "Select Top 0 " & mstrPrimaryKey & " into tmpDumpReport From " & mstrTableToProcess & "", gcnProj, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
    gcnProj.Execute "Alter Table tmpDumpReport " & _
    "ADD ColumnNm VARCHAR(30) NULL, CurrentValue VARCHAR(255) NULL, SequenceNbr INT NULL "

If I do not use temporary tables (#tmp) and use tmp instead, then it works. Has anyone else seen a similar thing or has an explanation.............................

Thanks

Script below works just fine.

drop table #tmp
    drop table #tmp10
    go
    create table #tmp(id int)
    select * into #tmp10 from #tmp
    alter table #tmp10 add code2 varchar(10)
    select * from #tmp10

Do you try to alter table from the same connection?

Provided Answers: 1
    Yeah, I suspect that your VB code is using a separate connection for the ALTER command. Temporary tables are only visible to the connection that creates them (unless created as global, which I don't recommend).
    I'm not a VB expert, but make sure you are using a single consistent connection to the database.

blindman

I am using the same connection but I am not explicitly creating temporary table by Create Table. I thought Select Into creates the table. I will try create table, select into and then alter.

thanks.

Originally posted by snail
    Script below works just fine.

drop table #tmp
    drop table #tmp10
    go
    create table #tmp(id int)
    select * from #tmp10

Do you try to alter table from the same connection?

Select into will create the table, though explicit creation is better programming practice.

blindman

Yes, I guess so. When I use:

drop table #tmp
    drop table #tmp10
    go
    select * from #tmp10

in a Query Analyzer, it seems to work even without the Create Table #tmp. But when I try using the same thing in VB, it just fails at the Alter Table saying the table does not exist.
    It sounds pretty inconsistent.

Archna

Temporary tables are available only to the connections that create them and are dropped as soon as the connection is broken.

blindman

I know but I am using the same connection, it is not broken and "Select Into" and "Alter Table" statements are right next to each other. There's nothing in between them. That's why I am confused

I'm no VB expert, but I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes that this is what is going on. Find a VB guru to check your code. As you said, it works fine in Query Agonizer, so your problem has to be in the VB code.

blindman