Question Unanswered: 8.0.4 migration or Upgrade

Hi,

Just looking for recommendations here, I have an Oracle 8.0.4 database around 45GB in size, and I have to either upgrade to 8.1.7.4 or migrate to 9i. (9.2)

The new database will be on a different machine runinng AIX 5(L).

If an upgrade is planned, would I be better upgrading on the same machine then porting the datafiles to the new box, or just installing the new 8.1.7.4 on the new machine and importing / exporting the data?

Has anyone done this before that may have documented what happened / went wrong etc and would share this? I would really appreciate any help offered in this operation.

THanks,
    Jim.

Re: 8.0.4 migration or Upgrade

Originally posted by jimskit
    Hi,

Just looking for recommendations here, I have an Oracle 8.0.4 database around 45GB in size, and I have to either upgrade to 8.1.7.4 or migrate to 9i. (9.2)

The new database will be on a different machine runinng AIX 5(L).

If an upgrade is planned, would I be better upgrading on the same machine then porting the datafiles to the new box, or just installing the new 8.1.7.4 on the new machine and importing / exporting the data?

Has anyone done this before that may have documented what happened / went wrong etc and would share this? I would really appreciate any help offered in this operation.

THanks,
    Jim.
    Hi,

I've made about twenty migration and i'm thinking import/export is the best way: You can re organize database/ tablespace...
    1) export with compress=y direct=y consistent=y
    2) re-create schemas by script (only tables with constraints disable)
    3) import without indexes and high buffer (constraints=n)
    4) re-create indexes with high sort_area_size
    5) Refresh stats
    6) enable constraints

Hope this will help you

Thanks very much for your advice...

Would the import/export be affected by the fact the target DB is 64-Bit and the source 32-Bit.

Am I right in thinking I can perform the export of each tablespace in 8.0.4 32-Bit, and import straight into 8.1.7.4 64-Bit?

Did you find any other issues with Pro*C, stored procs etc?

Thanks again...
    Jim.

Originally posted by jimskit
    Thanks very much for your advice...

Would the import/export be affected by the fact the target DB is 64-Bit and the source 32-Bit.

Am I right in thinking I can perform the export of each tablespace in 8.0.4 32-Bit, and import straight into 8.1.7.4 64-Bit?

Did you find any other issues with Pro*C, stored procs etc?

Thanks again...
    Jim.
    Export/Import are not affected by 32 or 64 bits.
    I never user 8.0 with transportable tablespaces and don't know if this feature is enable in 8.0.

For stored procs, it's ok. but for pro*c, if you have dynamic compilation, you need to relink and test these programs.

Hpe this help you