Unanswered: Oracle & MIcrosoft .NET

Hello Friends,
    I a working on a Oracle and .NEt project. But the performance o oracle is very bad as compared to SQL Server. Can anyone discuss on this issue. And how to resolve the problem. We are developing a site using asp.net and oracle

Re: Oracle & MIcrosoft .NET

What type of connection do you use to connect to the database?

Cheers,
    Suren.

Try this article as it has some good advice for people coming from other databases.

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/1403591

This is part 1 but I think there are 3-4 parts to it so do a search for the others.

The other thing is Oracle is designed for high reliability, large loads and loads of users (i.e. worst case scenarios). When you do testing if your just doing it as a single user then you will find sqlserver faster (I have on a number of occasions seen this) but put on tens/hundreds of users with heavy contention and Oracle is miles better.

However the Oracle database will need to be tuned, sqlserver is probably better out of the box but you have a limited amount of control over tuning it compared to Oracle which it is more complex but you have much more control over how the databse is configured.

Alan

I am using following connection string.

Const sConnStr As String = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=crs;User ID=sa;Password=oracle;"

Allan actually 10 to 11 user are concurrently working on oracle server and so it either gets slow or stucks after a day or two

cyrus

DOes restarting the server fix the problem? If it is it could be your app isnt freeing connections properly and so it is chewing up server memory. Do the following query or use something like TOAD to monitor connections.

select logon_time, last_call_et "time inactive",nvl(s.username, 'ORACLE PROCESS') username, s.machine, s.program,
    s.sid session_id, s.status,
    sql_text, ss.value "CPU used",
    trunc(buffer_gets/(executions+1)) "BUFF-EXEC", trunc(buffer_gets/(rows_processed+1)) "BUFF-ROWS",first_load_time, executions, parse_calls, disk_reads, buffer_gets, rows_processed
    from v$session s,
    v$sesstat ss,
    v$statname sn,
    v$sqlarea sa
    where s.sid = ss.sid and
    ss.statistic# = sn.statistic# and
    sn.name = 'CPU used by this session' and
    s.sql_address = sa.address and
    s.sql_hash_value = sa.hash_value
    order by machine, status, program, last_call_et asc;

Other things to check are the alert log but you really need a DBA to look into tuning the database and monitoring it. There are too many things to check from network OS, disk configuration, sql being executed, missing indexes, redo log config etc.

Alan

You could also try downloading a new driver from oracle. I'm assuming you are using the MS supplied oracle driver? If so, I wouldn't think that MS bust a gut attempting to optimise performance for non-MS products.

Yes you can get the latest driver from Oracle and check. And also check for hardware limitations such as the server's network card speed. The problem could be something outside the Oracle server.

The problem with is the connections. The connection are not released autonmaticaly from .NET. I from my side had tried to clsoe the connections.
    But the problem may come to those connection where the appliaction is abruptly stopped while debugging. we are presently in production mode.

Cyrus