Question Unanswered: Adding a new column in the middle of a table. Possible?

Hi folks,

I've been reading SQL user guide from Sybase and it doesn't say if the adding a column in the middle of a table is possible. Anyone has any info on this?

Thanks!

Hi,

When you add a column using alter table, the column is added at the end of the table only.

Try this.

a) make a copy of the table using "select into"
    b) re-create the original table with the new column
    c) insert into orginal_table (<columnlist>)
    select <columnlist> from copy_table

Hope this helps.

Vishi.

Does it matter where it is inserted? You can specify the column order in the select and insert commands have this ability, too.
    Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the info. Have to do it the hard way then. Reason why I need to add a column in the middle is because we have fixed columns defined at the end of each table.

trvishi: Managed to do what you mentioned. One question though, my previous table had a lot of dependencies (sp_depends) but the newly created table kinda lost all of those dependent objects. Will there be any problems?

Originally posted by lokem
    trvishi: Managed to do what you mentioned. One question though, my previous table had a lot of dependencies (sp_depends) but the newly created table kinda lost all of those dependent objects. Will there be any problems?
    Depends on what you did, perhaps renamed the table?

If you renamed the old table, created a new one and then selected in the data, all dependencies will still refer to the old table. Drop the old table and run sp_recompile on the new one should get you sorted.

oligus: Thank you for the tip on sp_recompile. It works wonders :P