Thread: Row Chaining

Smile Unanswered: Row Chaining

Hai CODBA's,
    In my database i have three tables ........CFMRULE, CFMFW,
    CFMLIST..........
    Tables CFMRULE , CFMFW contains blob as datatypes for one of the column.
    When we took tablespace report it alerted row chaining for CFMRULE,CFMFW tables ...........
    but our application process is we just refer to CFMRULE , CFMFW tables , no insertion of records in to these tables...we just read and validate.......and we insert a record in CFMLIST............

I would like to know when there is no insertion of records in CFMRULW,CFMFW ...why should row chaining be formed.

Expecting replies asap....

TIA,

regds
    Sunnie

Re: Row Chaining

Does the tables CFMRULE and CFMFW have any records currently, if no did they have any records previously.

My suspicion is that chained rows displayed is based on some old data, so try analyzing the tables again & see if it still is reporting the same

HTH
    Arvind

Arrow row chaining

aravind only 2 records in one table and in another table only 18 records are present....this records are inserted initially before application starts working...ie master data....and no more insertion takes place...then why should row chaining happens...................

Re: row chaining

Hi,

Looks like the length of your row is greater than the db_block_size

Lets consider that Oracle begins the row on a new block. Suppose the row occupies the entire block and still some part of the row remins to be stored, then Oralce will store it in anew block, those rows will always be chained.

Can you post your db_block_size and the output of describe <table name> to confirm the same

HTH
    Arvind