Exclamation Unanswered: creating database/schema on oracle-8.0

Hi,

We have installed oracle-8.0 on a windows-NT server. We need to create a schema named RPH that should contain N number of tables, views, synonyms, triggers ....

CAn you tell us the procedure to create schema, database

Have already created a user RPH but "create database "using SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL gives error "Insufficient privileges"

With Oracle USER=SCHEMA, so a schema is simply the objects owned by the user. A database in oracle can have multiple users (and thus schemas).

So since you have created the user, login in as that user and then use the create table etc. to create all the objects for that schema.

Alan

Creating Database

Originally posted by AlanP
    With Oracle USER=SCHEMA, so a schema is simply the objects owned by the user. A database in oracle can have multiple users (and thus schemas).

So since you have created the user, login in as that user and then use the create table etc. to create all the objects for that schema.

Alan
    Thanks for your mail. But we couldn't log in with RPH user. Actually, one entire database is running in one server which was made by some other people. There we could connect to anywhere using RPH as User, and its password, and service/HostString as Orders. Now we want to create a clone of it . But only the structures we need. How could we create the service/hoststring as orders. If suppose we are logging into enterprise manager, now we could do using SCOTT/TIGER. But it shows database as default database. But in the original server if we log in using RPH/PASSWORD/ORDERS, we could see database as ORDERS. Please let us know how should we go about it. I hope you must have understood what I'm trying to say.

For EG. I want to enter into enterprise manager, by giving the following values:
    UserName = RPH
    Password = Flexuser
    service = Orders
    Connect as = Normal

When you open Oracle:
    userName = RPH
    Password = Flexuser
    hoststring = ordres

How should I go about it. Now in our WindowsNT server, Oracle is just installed.

Please reply ASAP.

Regards,
    Prema

Re: creating database/schema on oracle-8.0

Originally posted by prema
    Hi,

We have installed oracle-8.0 on a windows-NT server. We need to create a schema named RPH that should contain N number of tables, views, synonyms, triggers ....

CAn you tell us the procedure to create schema, database

Have already created a user RPH but "create database "using SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL gives error "Insufficient privileges"
    If you have already created your RPH user, the schema for that user will already exist. Just create the tables (i.e. create table rph.MyTable(field1, field2); and you'll find that it will work fine.

Unhappy Creating Service,Schema as I've mentioned in Oracle 8.0

In Oracle-8.0 runs under Windows-NT Server:

Thanks for your mail. But we couldn't log in with RPH user. Actually, one entire database is running in one server which was made by some other people. There we could connect to anywhere using RPH as User, and its password, and service/HostString as Orders. Now we want to create a clone of it . But only the structures we need. How could we create the service/hoststring as orders. If suppose we are logging into enterprise manager, now we could do using SCOTT/TIGER. But it shows database as default database. But in the original server if we log in using RPH/PASSWORD/ORDERS, we could see database as ORDERS. Please let us know how should we go about it. I hope you must have understood what I'm trying to say.

For EG. I want to enter into enterprise manager, by giving the following values:
    UserName = RPH
    Password = Flexuser
    service = Orders
    Connect as = Normal

When you open Oracle:
    userName = RPH
    Password = Flexuser
    hoststring = ordres

How should I go about it. Now in our WindowsNT server, Oracle is just installed.

Please reply ASAP.

Regards,
    Prema

I would forget about enterprise manager and just use sqlplus to login as I think you are getting confused as to what you are logging into.

It sounds like you have Oracle installed on a new box and you want to copy the schema over.

If this is the case then follow these steps, If you have done any of the steps already then skip it.

TO COPY THE WHOLE DATABASE AND DATA OVER (FOR ALL USERS)
    1) Use the Database creation wizard to create a new database if you havent already. If possible make sure the new server has the same directory structure as the old server

2) Do exp system/password full=y on your old server

3) Copy the expdat.dmp file to your new server.

4) Do imp system/password file=expdat.dmp full=y

OR TO COPY A SINGLE USER OVER
    1) Create the user using create user in sqlplus on the new server. Use something like TOAD if you can as it can generate the whole create user script, grants etc from your old server.

2) exp system/password owner=RPH on your old server

3) Copy the expdat.dmp file to the new server

4) imp system/password file=expdat.dmp fromuser=RPH touser=RPH on your new user

Then you should have all the tables etc belonging to RPH on your new server.

Alan

Talking Thanks... Still Doubt

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Still I have doubt. Actually, we don't want to copy the records. We want to copy the selected Records afterwards. That's what we were trying to
    create schemas, database etc...

if suppose we don't have any other database dump, we want to create
    service/database as ORDERS. UserName as RPH. Password as RPHUSER.
    This RPH user should be the SuperUser which should allow us to enter into Enterprise manager, oracle-8.0, Database Manager, Instance Manageer etc... What should we do.

Otherwise as you said, if suppose we copy the entire dump from the old server without records and install in this server, would we get all the schemas...(i.e) username/schema as RPH??????????? and database/hoststring/service as orders??????????? and its related password would also be applied??????????? Please help me out in this.

Waiting for your reply.

Unhappy NOT GOT ANY RESPONSE

Hi,

I was so happy when I recd your immediate responses. But for the latest
    one you have not replied yet. Please clear the doubt of the latest thread.