Unanswered: URGENT: Choosing a Character Set

Hello,

I have 2 machines: a server which has Windows 2000 Server loaded with Multilanguange Pack, Oracle 9i v2 and a program written in Delphi installed. And a client machine that has Windows XP Professional with Multilanguage Pack, oracle 9i client and a program written in Delphi installed.

I have created a database on the server machine and used the character set ZHS32GB18030.

I ran a script throught the SQL Worksheet to create a table and store Chinese characters in it. When I look at the data in this table through any oracle tool on the Server I see the Chinese come up no problem. When I run the Delphi program which looks at the table I see the Chinese no problem. If I run the same program on the client machine the Chinese comes up all scrambled english characters. I have both mahcines switched to the China locale so all Windows menus etc are in Chinese no problem.

Does anyone know if this is a setting I am missing in Oracle or a setting I am missing in Windows?

Do you know if I created the database in the correct character set (ZHS32GB18030)?

Thank you,

Jenn

If you have set the Windows Control Panel/ Regional Options/ General Locale Location to Chineese (locale) then the problem should not be with Windows. Query NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS and NLS_INSTANCE_PARAMETERS to see if the session and instance is set correctly in Oracle.

What should these settings be?

I have tried with:
    NLS_LANGUANGE = 'SIMPLIFIED CHINESE'
    NLS_TERRITORY = 'CHINA'
    NLS_CHARACTERSET = 'ZHS32GB18030'

as well as trying
    NLS_LANGUANGE = 'AMERICAN'
    NLS_TERRITORY = 'AMERICA'
    NLS_CHARACTERSET = 'ZHS32GB18030'

The server machine works when the language and territory are American but not when they are Chinese.

The client machine does not work with either.

Also, if I enter the Chinese text into the database from the server machine (Win 2000) the Delphi program on the server machine will dislpay the Chinese characters read from the database, but the same program on the client machine (Win XP) cannot read it.

Similarly, if I enter the Chinese text into the database from the client machine the Delphi program on the client machine will display the Chinese characters read from the database but the same program on the server machine cannot read it.

Any other thoughts?

Jenn

ZHS32GB18030 in not present

Dear All,

I have installed Oracle 10g R2 on Linux.With Character Set ZHS16GBK. AL16UTF16.

Now i want to install ZHS32GB18030.
    What will be the steps and how can i set this Character Set. Do i need to install Oracle 10g R2 again ?

Thanks
    Adeel Imtiaz