Unanswered: How do I move Filemaker Server to another server?

We're using FileMaker Server 5.5 on a Windows NT 4.0 server that's on its last legs. I'm a sysadmin that's been tasked with moving data and services from that machine to a Windows 2000 server. Is it possible to move FileMaker Server over to a Windows 2000 server and how would this be accomplished? It sounds easy on the surface, but I don't know anything about this application. Thanks in advance for any help.

SkittyKitty

Cool Re: How do I move Filemaker Server to another server?

Not a problem. I run a FM server on W2K Pro as a data server (70+ database's and 50+ users, accessed 24/7). But-Check the server requirements about running on w2k server.

The task is simple.
    1. Install FM server software on new machine.
    2. Stop the server services on the NT.
    3. Copy your databases (or transfer them via MS network) from old machine to new. Place in the appropriate server folder on new system.
    3. Assign a TCP/IP address (if your network requires) to your new server's NIC card.
    4. Set up your new FM server's properties (back ups and such) in the FileMaker server console.
    5. Plug into your network and reboot.

Note: make sure the drives are formated to NTFS or Fat32, I've encountered backup problems writting to FAT format drives.

My system has run for almost 4 years almost non-stop, without any problems

Good luck

Originally posted by SkittyKitty
    We're using FileMaker Server 5.5 on a Windows NT 4.0 server that's on its last legs. I'm a sysadmin that's been tasked with moving data and services from that machine to a Windows 2000 server. Is it possible to move FileMaker Server over to a Windows 2000 server and how would this be accomplished? It sounds easy on the surface, but I don't know anything about this application. Thanks in advance for any help.

SkittyKitty

Smile Re: How do I move Filemaker Server to another server?

Thanks for your advice, Rick. I had hoped it would be that easy. I shall soon post my success story.

Originally posted by RickKnight
    Not a problem. I run a FM server on W2K Pro as a data server (70+ database's and 50+ users, accessed 24/7). But-Check the server requirements about running on w2k server.

The task is simple.
    1. Install FM server software on new machine.
    2. Stop the server services on the NT.
    3. Copy your databases (or transfer them via MS network) from old machine to new. Place in the appropriate server folder on new system.
    3. Assign a TCP/IP address (if your network requires) to your new server's NIC card.
    4. Set up your new FM server's properties (back ups and such) in the FileMaker server console.
    5. Plug into your network and reboot.

Note: make sure the drives are formated to NTFS or Fat32, I've encountered backup problems writting to FAT format drives.

My system has run for almost 4 years almost non-stop, without any problems

Good luck