Unanswered: Which database to use?

Hi !

I have been using databases in java for quite some time. So far I had applications running just at home, but now that I am faced with redistrbuting of my application, I have come to one obstacle...

So far I have been using Access database, which need ODBC Link set up. This makes program very hard to install (if user is no profesional user), and it can run only on windows.

So I have done a little reserach onto java databases. I have come across several but I can't decide which to use. Has anybody done test on any of database. Here I am talkiong aboyt following database: Axion, Hypersonic (HSQLDB), and Mckoi. There are some other, but they are not free...

If anybodyt has seen any tests,or done them or something, please let me know.

Andy

I'm not actually giving you an advice about choosing another db, but I've read a solution to your original problem - setting up a dsn by unexperienced user. here's the way you can avoid creating it:
    Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
    String connString = "jdbcdbcRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
    (*.mdb);DBQ=c:/test.mdb;PWD=mypass";
    Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(connString,
    "Admin","password");

See? No DSNs, no difficult deployment.
    P.S. This code sample has been given by Nick Reeve, in this forum

Thumbs up MySQL

I prefer MySQL to any other database. The main reason is its one of the best among the open source databases. Recently looking at Apache XIndice XML database.
    -- Ashik Uzzaman
    Software Development Engineer
    Philips Medical Systems
    Milpitas, CA, USA

Re: MySQL

Originally posted by Ashikuzzaman
    I prefer MySQL to any other database. The main reason is its one of the best among the open source databases. Recently looking at Apache XIndice XML database.
    Hi !
    I for myself like to use PostgeSQL instead of mysql (personal preference, they are both good), but here we were talking about pure java databases, especially about pure java dbs that don't need server with database running (standalone). And when we want pure Java Database then we don't have a lot of choices, and if we want standalone database, the number of dbs decreases. I have small application (in Java) which so far used Access DB, but if I want to have this application portable I need pure Java db, since ODBC drivers for Access would be unusable on linux or BSD (they don't exists).

Andy

Cool HSQLDB

HSQLDB is my choice in that case.
    -- Ashik Uzzaman
    Software Development Engineer
    Philips Medical Systems
    Milpitas, CA, USA