Thread: sum aggregation

Unanswered: sum aggregation

I've got a cube storing sales data. (Oh, I'm using SQL Server Analysis Services to create this cube, btw.) There are other dimensions in that cube, but the one of concern is TIME. This TIME dimension is structured as -

TIME
    ------
    Year
    WeekStart
    Date

Using this time dimension the appropriate weekly and yearly sales totals can be found, by drill-up/drill-down.

Consider a scenario where the sales record for a certain date in the fact table is NULL, ie no sales were recorded for that date. Normally, in analysis services, when the weekly sales total is shown the NULL sales data is ignored and a sum of sales from other dates is shown. But is there any way of showing a ZERO sales total for that week.

What I mean is, whenever sales data for a day is missing the sales total for that week should be zero. Is this sort of a thing possible in analysis services?

i want something like

week.sales = 0
    for (all days in week)
    if day.sales = 0 or null
    week.sales = 0
    break outta for loop
    else
    week.sales += day.sales
    next

Howdy

Dont complicate things - do all the grunt work in the database ( i.e. set no sales = '0' or similar instaed of leaving it NULL ) and then use analysis services accordingly.

Cheers

SG