Unanswered: Inital Oracle Connection

Hi,

I am connecting to Oracle8i database from a VB COM component using Oracle client 8.1.7 and Microsoft ODBC for Orcle driver. The Orcle databas is on UNIX server. The inital Oracle connection takes about 16 sec. The execution time for queries is 0 - 1 sec (great!). I close the connection from my VB COM. If ODBC is working properly, it should pool the conneciton and next time when I acquire a connection it should be a logical connection from VB to ODBC. I guess this is working fine since the subsequent connection takes only 1 sec.

However, if I wait for about 20 min and try it, it again takes 10 - 16 sec.

It appears to be timinig out somewhere. I am not sure whether the ODBC pooling drops the connection from the pool. Is there a setting on ODBC to persist the pool for a specific time interval? Or is this setting on SQLNet side? Is this setting on Oracle server side? Or is there anything that can keep the connection for re-use without taking that much connection time?

Can somebody throw some light on this issue. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

N

Hi,

I've had similar problems. One machine could initiate a new connection to Oracle in ~1 second, the other took 15 or more.

The solution was to comment out SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES in SQLNET.ORA. Comment it out by putting a # at the beginning of the line.

Hth
    Bill

# SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

Hi,

I do not have authentication segment in sqlnet.ora file.
    Here is what I have in it:

-------------------
    AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
    TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
    names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES)
    sqlnet.expire_time=60
    #names.default_domain = world
    #name.default_zone = world
    --------------------