Question Unanswered: Accessing mdb/mde with VB?

Greetings -

I'd like to write a VB6 app that accesses (reads/writes) data in an Access database file.

Tho' I was certified in Access '97 back in the day, I haven't used it for product apps in a 3-4 years, and I've forgotten much.

What I'd like to know is:

Do I have to install Access or Access runtime to get at the data, or will an MDAC install (or something else) suffice?

Given that I don't want folks unnecessarily mucking with the data, is it preferable to use an .mde instead of an .mdb and, if so, how do I do this?

Thanks much.

- Richard (

All you need is the MDAC to access an Access DB ... Usually an installation of VB will have a version of MDAC ... As for accessing, since the DB is only a repository for data ( not using it for data entry itself) just use the MDB ... MDE is the compiled version that strips out VBA code ... Password protecting the DB will prevent casual access and copying of tables to other DBs ...

VB6 probably wouldn't read mdb files later than Access 97 though. I'm not sure, but it certainly didn't read mine.