Hello Everyone,

I am just reading about the Full Text capabilities with MySQL 4.0.1 and up. the thing that intrigues me is the IN BOOLEAN MODE feature that allows a "smarter" Full Text Search.

My questions are related to the PHP query extraction and your general thoughts on a full text search (likely similar to the one on this forum)....

Would you implement a "quick" full text search with boolean features? That is, would you write PHP to handle quotes, AND, OR, XOR, NOT then use them with the MySQL search Operators (+,-,"",(), etc) in ONE input field? Is this too complex? Are there any functions out there for this (I haven't seen any and am pretty familiar with the MySQL functions)?

MATCH (field a, field b) AGAINST ((+param1 +param2) -param3)...

or....

Would you implement this functionality in an "advanced" full text search with many input fields for ALL WORDS, NOT THESE WORDS, PRIORITIZE THESE WORDS.

Hope this makes sense. Just wanted your thoughts on how to implements....whether the functionality should be built-in to a FULL Text "quick search" (more likely to attract users) or leave it for my advanced search page.

Many thanks...