Exclamation Unanswered: Oracle in WIn2K3?? Help!!!!!

Hi,

Has anyone installed oracle 8i on Win2k3?

I just installed developer 6i and then oracle 8i on Win2K3 and it has been successfully installed. I ended up successfully establishing the connection. And then when I rebooted it one of the services named “ Oracle ServiceNTORA” started to show “ starting” status instead of either started” or “stop”.

Kind of wired! I never saw any service with that kind of status!!

So every time I tried to use SQLnet it says oracle is not available!!

I did not have this problem with win 98 and win 2000 prof. But with XP prof and with Win2k 3 I m having this trouble.

Does anybody know what to do??

8i is not supported with 2003

Only 9i has recently released a 32-bit and 64-bit version
    compatible with XP and 2003
    (I know specifically ver. 9.2.0.1)

8i is only able to go up to Win2000
    or if it does go onto the newer one...it not fully compatible and not supported.

hi,

does the service ever get started? (be sure to refresh the window every 10 secs).
    Otherwise u might try to change the property from automatic to manual, reboot the machine and after rebooting, open a command box and issue the statement : net start oracleservicentora.
    When the service has started and u are still getting the message that oracle is not available, only the instance has been started, so start the database manually.
    If neither of these things help, yoyo (you're on your own) because 8.1.7 is not (yet) certified against WIn2k3.

Hope this helps.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Red face I did what u said!!

Yes The service gets started the first time i install it. And as long as i don't reboot it it works fine. I can also access the database from the form developer. No matter whether i keep it manual or automatic it just works normal.

But as soon as i first reboot it the service shows " starting" status.

I tried this way:

1. I installed oracle

2. Check if it works; got possitive result

3. From the service property chaged automatic to manual

4. stop the service

5. started the service manually

6. Check again; still no problem

7. Reboot the system

8. Manually tried to start the service; the service took a lot longer to start and finally faield

9. Check it; got the msg " oracle is not available"

10. Check service status; notice it says " starting"

I also tried to leave it manual but when i checked it after the system rebooted i got the same msg " oracle is not available" and the status shows " starting".

Any clue?

hi,

did u get any errors on starting the service?
    Does it ever get the status started after a reboot of the machine ?
    Did u try to start the database ?
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Yes i did get an error messege while trying to start the service after i rebot the system. But since i had the problem with win2K3 i changed my OS. So, no chance to see the error no or the messege.

Now it's 2000 prof that is running on my PC. But i really liked Win2K3 so if you think you can come up with any solution i can try it again to see what specific error messege it shows.

No, as far as i can remember it never got started after reboot.

I don't know how to start the database yet. I am very new to oracle. Can you tell me?

I can see that you are a dutch. That's really cool! Tomorrow I am going with my dutch friend to a firld trip outside of my city for two days to work as her interpreter. She needs an interpreter to help her trasnlate the local language to english while talking to the rural people. She lives with another dutch friends of mine.

Both of them are uni students. I truely enjoy talking to them.

I am glad that soon I am going to meet another big dutch group.

This morning i just learned how to write the two following sentences in dutch [obviously from my friend]:

Dank je wel voor jouw hulp

Mag ik je vragen van waar in Nederland je bent?

My friend is from netjes. But she guess you would probably from the west as most big cities are there.

Though I wont come to check the posts tomorrow and the day after that..i will surely be back to you once i get a chance.

Cya

hi,

well, since u have changed your OS i see no point in changing it back to W2K3, because that is certified. U just have to wait until oracle certifies a newer version for W2K3.
    It seems to me that the service could not be started on the OS have to do with the way oracle interacts with the OS, so i guess this issue can not be solved by us poor oracle users.

I liked your dutch, bet u can't really pronounce it ? ;-)

I live in Nijkerk. This is a smaller ciy located in the centre of the Netherlands near Utrecht and Amersfoort. Couldn't figure out where your friend is from.

Anyway, if u have any question left about Oracle (i bet u do), just mail me or post them here. I'm always willing to help fellow oracle users with their problems.

Greetz,
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

thx

Thanks! Yeah I obviously do question regarding oracle. But I just started to learn it. So, probably I will have more questions later on. I’ll definitely be in touch with you.

But can I ask you one thing? I want to know more about distributed database systems and want to implement it in 2 servers where from the clients will get access to the database. Is documentation enough for it? But it’s really a big documentation u know. Is there any short-cut way I mean can you name any good book which has covered this area well??

Both of my Dutch friends are studying at universiteit twente, and one of them lives in the city called hengelo, and the other lives in enschede. I think you can tell now where they are from, no?

But both of them agreed that you live in a cool part of Netherlands.

You take care,
    Crazy Topu

hi,

for information about distributed system in general, check out bookstores like amazon.com, bol.com or something like that (even the bookstore on the corner or the street).
    For more information about how oracle has implemented it and uses it, you'll have to struggle through the oracle documentation found on technet.oracle.com, i'm sorry.

Yes, i know now where your friends live, but i don't the cities them selves.

take care 2 & greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst