Question Unanswered: move 6.5 db to sql 2000 server

We just built a new server with Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000. How do we move our db from the old server which is running Windows NT 4.0 and SQL Server 6.5 to the new server preserving all primary keys and defaults?

Should be able to restore the backup from the 6.5 installation - I think you have to create the db in the 2000 env, in order to restore it.

Alternatively you can sp_attach the datafiles to the 2000 db - although in my opinion the restore is cleaner - doubless there will be loads of people who will disagree with me.
    Regards
    Dbabren

Hi

SQL 6.5 DUMP CANNOT BE RESTORED in SQL2000 . You have to upgrade !!! Or Create DDL and run them on 2000 and manually import the data .. (more chances of failure)

Yep. you're right - I misread the original question - saw 6.5 and thought 7.0 - my mistake!
    Regards
    Dbabren

Re: move 6.5 db to sql 2000 server

Originally posted by doliviat
    We just built a new server with Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000. How do we move our db from the old server which is running Windows NT 4.0 and SQL Server 6.5 to the new server preserving all primary keys and defaults?
    You will need to use the Database Conversion Wizard provided with SQL 2000 for this purpose. In order to convert a SQL 6.5 database to SQL 2000, do the following

1) Install SQL 2000 on the current SQL 65 Server
    2) Using Database conversion Wizard convert the SQL 6.5 Database into a SQL 2000 database (there are options in the wizard which can control what objects to convert and how to convert them)
    3) Backup the converted SQL 2000 database and restore it onto the new SQL 2000 DB server.

just another thing to consider if you don't have enough disk space on the current server and have to do the upgrade over the wire:

if you have to do the upgrade from the 6.5 to the 2000 server, you'll have to have the MSSQL services running as a common user (domain user) on both the source server (6.5) and the destination (2000). This is because the upgrade wizard will need to be able to start and stop the services on the remote server and can't do so if they're running as the SYSTEM user
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com