Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Using variable in a FORMS listing

Hello everybody,
    is it possible to use variable in the FORMS listing?

I made global varialble to store the form name [glb_AnyFormName]

how can I use something like that in a SELECT statement

SELECT paz.paz_pgd_join_id, paz.paz_serial, paz.paz_tarif_std, paz.paz_tz_art, paz.paz_von, paz.paz_bis
    FROM paz
    WHERE (((paz.paz_bis) Between [forms]![my_FormName]![txt_ausVon] And [forms]![my_FormName]![txt_ausBis]));

Note that my_FormName is here not a variable but the name of the form.

My question here, can I substitute my_FormName with the global variable glb_AnyFormName

I tried something like that but invain

SELECT paz.paz_pgd_join_id, paz.paz_serial, paz.paz_tarif_std, paz.paz_tz_art, paz.paz_von, paz.paz_bis
    FROM paz
    WHERE (((paz.paz_bis) Between forms(glb_AnyFormName)![txt_ausVon] And forms(glb_AnyFormName)![txt_ausBis]));

Thanks for yur help....

Hi,

What you need to do is to concatenate the value of your variable into the SQL string, and preferably put that into a variable too. However, you will NOT be able to do this if you are simply using the SQL in a Select query. But you can construct the SQL string in VBA and then use it as a RecordSource for a form or report, or the RowSource for a ComboBox or ListBox.

For example:

Dim MySQL as String

MySQL = "SELECT paz.paz_pgd_join_id, paz.paz_serial, paz.paz_tarif_std, paz.paz_tz_art, paz.paz_von, paz.paz_bis
    FROM paz
    WHERE (((paz.paz_bis) Between [forms]!" & my_FormName &"![txt_ausVon] And [forms]![my_FormName]![txt_ausBis]));"

You now have an SQL string that has the name of your form, stored in my_FormName, embedded in it. The advantage of putting the SQL into a string variable is that you can Debug.Print it or display it in a messagebox in order to check its value. I hope this helps.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Provided Answers: 1

Thumbs up

Thanks allot, I'll try it now, I think it will functions.
    Thanks again

Sorry, I forgot the second variable. Amended version:

Dim MySQL as String

MySQL = "SELECT paz.paz_pgd_join_id, paz.paz_serial, paz.paz_tarif_std, paz.paz_tz_art, paz.paz_von, paz.paz_bis
    FROM paz
    WHERE (((paz.paz_bis) Between [forms]!" & my_FormName &"![txt_ausVon] And [forms]!" &my_FormName &"![txt_ausBis]));"

Good luck!!
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com