Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Foxpro2.6 and Windows 2000. Compatible ?

I've installed FoxPro 2.6 on a PC running Windows 2000 Professional.
    Every time I try to launch foxprow.exe I receive an error message stating "Divide by zero or overflow error" and the process gets terminated. Is there any special considerations I need to make to run this version of FoxPro on Windows 2000 or is version 2.6 simply too old to be compatible with Windows 2000?

PS. I'd love it if they were incompatible. That would mean I could justify the cost of upgrading to v8 ;-)

Weeeeelllllll..........anybody?

Sorry if I seem nooby but, hey, I don't use foxpro myself. I'm just the guy who installs the new PCs with whatever software the user requires. What happens is that after installing fpw2.6 evry time I launch it it pops up an annoying error message saying "divide by zero" and then it bombs out on me. Can someone, please, just confirm my suspicions?

Originally posted by helter
    Weeeeelllllll..........anybody?

Sorry if I seem nooby but, hey, I don't use foxpro myself. I'm just the guy who installs the new PCs with whatever software the user requires. What happens is that after installing fpw2.6 evry time I launch it it pops up an annoying error message saying "divide by zero" and then it bombs out on me. Can someone, please, just confirm my suspicions?
    foxpro 2.6a dos works very nicely
    the amazing thing is the dbf files are stored on a unx server and it works! record locking and everything

Re: Foxpro2.6 and Windows 2000. Compatible ?

Helter ...

You'll need to get a patch for the 2.6 version. I'm pretty sure that it is still available up on the M$ site somewhere. If you have problems getting it drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Best

Originally posted by helter
    I've installed FoxPro 2.6 on a PC running Windows 2000 Professional.
    Every time I try to launch foxprow.exe I receive an error message stating "Divide by zero or overflow error" and the process gets terminated. Is there any special considerations I need to make to run this version of FoxPro on Windows 2000 or is version 2.6 simply too old to be compatible with Windows 2000?

PS. I'd love it if they were incompatible. That would mean I could justify the cost of upgrading to v8 ;-)

Cool RE: Foxpro2.6 and Windows 2000. Compatible ? (you should add XP)

The problem is more related to the SPEED than to OS (according to M$)
    If you ask my opinion, the problem is related to the NT kernel (NT4 was the beggining of this).

There is a Fix in M$ technet
    available at
    http://<a href="http://support.micro...-us;240982</a>

Keep in mind that if you make have a mix environment (98-ME/NT4-2000-XP )you should build the app in the lowest environment since I've found that there is a 50% chance that the application crash.

Question

Possibly the most common problem with older versions of this-n-that is the enormously huge (>2GB) disk drive sizes that are common today. Ditto the large (>16MB) memory.

Many older programs couldn't have conceived of that cornucopia of resources!
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Wink Mmmm.

I've never noticed a problem with the disk per-se but I know that when you pass the 64Mb barrier you get the "Insufficient (?!) memory" message.
    The disk was never an issue but I never dared to try NTFS with FoxPro

Re: Mmmm.

I've never noticed a problem with the disk per-se but I know that when you pass the 64Mb barrier you get the "Insufficient (?!) memory" message.
    The disk was never an issue but I never dared to try NTFS with FoxPro
    Basically as I understand it the problems can arise when the amount of resources will no longer fit in a 32-bit number. 2GB or perhaps 4GB is the "limit." Some programs run into problems at greater than 16mb (a 24-bit word).
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Wink Re: Mmmm.

NTFS is fine with Fox, it runs in an emulated machine so it's well above that level.

The 2Gb file limit comes from the locking system that Fox uses.

It runs very well on NT/2000/XP I find.

Lightbulb I have your answer

Helter--

Forgive the late response; I just discovered/joined the forum today.

I just solved this very problem last week on a FoxPro 2.6 runtime library with the help of some local FoxPro experts.

The problem is the same whether you try to run FoxPro 2.6 itself or applications built with it using the runtime library, FOXW2600.ESL. The cause is that FoxPro tries to run some counts in registers in the processor to determine the speed as it starts up. This creates a divide by zero error for processors greater than 300MHz since it ends up with a negative number when it tries to do the division.

I was provided the attached FoxPro program which fixed the problem for my runtime library just beautifully. However, I used Visual FoxPro 6.0 to run it. This could be a problem for you if you just have FoxPro 2.6 and Windows 2000 will not let you run it. In Windows 98, I would get the error and choose "Ignore" and be running. But in XP, it won't even do that. I'm not sure what 2000 does, so you have these choices as I see it:

1. Run this code on your 2000 box using Fox2.6, if it will let you.
    2. If not, try using VFP3.0 or higher to fix your foxprow.exe and/or foxw2600.esl files.
    3. If you don't have VFP3.0 or higher, try running 2.6 on a Win98 box and fix the executible there. Then copy the fixed exe back to the 2000 box and try running again.
    4. Or, you could seek out the .exe patches that are floating around the web.

Be sure to read all the internal comments at the start of the program. They contain instructions on how to run it and insight into the problem/fix.

HTH--

- Pete J.

Hi,
    Actually you can run FoxPro 2.6 in xp by choosing "compatibality with win98" in properties of foxpro link which we get by right clicking on it!! I hope same can be done in win 2000 also. I have win xp proff. version and after setting its compatibiliy to win 98 its working very fine.

Hope it helps

Warm Regards
    Vivek Bajaj

Bajajvivek--

Good idea for FoxPro 2.6 itself. However, it will not solve the runtime library problem for applications built with the Distribution Kit. (I know because I just tried it.) So, one could use your suggestion to get 2.6 running on XP (or maybe 2000?) and use the code I provided to fix the glitch in both binaries.

- Pete J.

Hi Pete,

Sorry I don't have much experience in Foxpro. I used it when I was given an assignment to convert an application from Foxpro to Oracle/D2K. Thanks for correcting me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot once again.

Warm Regards
    Vivek Bajaj

Originally posted by bajajvivek
    Hi,
    Actually you can run FoxPro 2.6 in xp by choosing "compatibality with win98" in properties of foxpro link
    You can, but you don't need to.

Exclamation foxpro2.6 XP patch

I downloaded a patch from the Microsoft site to solve the "minus zero or overflow" error message I get when I try to open Foxpro2.6 in WindowsXP. I've downloaded it repeatedly and it takes no time to download (which I find suspicious) but it also just flashes a dos screen momentarily whenever I try to open it, and nothing else happens. I have copied it into the Foxpro folder, and I still get the error message. I have also reset the compatibility of the foxpro program from the icon on my desktop, first to Windows 98 - no go. Then to Windows 200 - still no open.

Help! We've got to get this program running by Sunday to launch an expedition to survey Chorus Frogs and need the laptop for data entry! Aleta