Question Unanswered: Migration from Sybase 6 to ASE with only .dat file

Hello;

I have come in 4 years after an application was written. Supposedly there were valid backups made the only thing that I can recover from these backups is a .dat file.

We wish to get at the data in this dat file. Originally the applciation was written in WEBSQL, if that helps at all. We used a java class in the database that would be very useful to us.

Anyone have any ideas how I can bring this datafile into ASE and look at the tables/contents?

Thanks

Don Lindsay
    PSGS

When you talk about Sybase 6, do you mean to say Sybase ASA 6?

If yes, then the only way to migrate the .dat from Sybase ASA 6 to Sybase ASE is to unload the data from Sybase ASA 6 and bcp that into Sybase ASE.

You might find this techdoc useful
    http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=20227

Well you are asking me something that no one appears to know. The original database was on a sun box, we know it was Sybase SQL Server, they believe it was 6. They never did a full system backup so trying to re-cretae the application server is proving to be difficult.

We do not have a server up and running that we can open the file with at all, so I am not sure that we unload the data.

Thanks

Don

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    When you talk about Sybase 6, do you mean to say Sybase ASA 6?

If yes, then the only way to migrate the .dat from Sybase ASA 6 to Sybase ASE is to unload the data from Sybase ASA 6 and bcp that into Sybase ASE.

You might find this techdoc useful
    http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=20227

Sybase never had a version 6 in their Enterprise database server product range. It went straight from Sybase SQL Server 4.9.2 to Sybase SQL Server 10.

The only database version 6 from Sybase came from iAnywhere guys which was Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.

Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere(ASA) and Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise(ASE) are 2 different products. The only common thing between the 2 is that they both come from Sybase.
    Last edited by willy_and_the_ci; 10-14-03 at 22:51.

I found some manuals and a empty CD case that says Sybase SQL Server 11.0x. Does this help?

Don

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    Sybase never had a version 6 in their Enterprise database server product range. It went straight from Sybase SQL Server 4.9.2 to Sybase SQL Server 10.

The only database version 6 from Sybase came from iAnywhere guys which was Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.

Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere(ASA) and Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise(ASE) are 2 different products. The only common thing between the 2 is that they both come from Sybase.

Originally posted by pccdonl
    I found some manuals and a empty CD case that says Sybase SQL Server 11.0x. Does this help?

Don
    Not really!!!

You need to know exactly what version was this created.