Unanswered: How to run a job on Unix

Hi,

1. Please write me detailed steps and commands to run a job (written shell scripting as well as PL/ SQL program) for Oracle database on UNIX box, preferably Solaris. Also give the reference of online documents.

2. How to convert the oracle data in text format so that it could be easily imported into EXCEL spreadsheet.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

GS

Re: How to run a job on Unix

Originally posted by Guddusp
    Hi,

1. Please write me detailed steps and commands to run a job (written shell scripting as well as PL/ SQL program) for Oracle database on UNIX box, preferably Solaris. Also give the reference of online documents.

2. How to convert the oracle data in text format so that it could be easily imported into EXCEL spreadsheet.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

GS
    1) type 'man crontab' on the unix shell prompt - that's the online document - i don't remember the exact syntax of cron. Or search www.google.com for 'crontab how-to'

To send the commands to Oracle:

sqlplus user/password@database @my_script.sql

2) Dump as a CSV (Comma Separated Value), and open it using excel, something like (in a script like my_script.sql)

set pages 0
    set trimspool on
    set echo off
    set feedback off

spool myfile.xls

select col1 || ',' || col2 || ',' col3 from your_table;

spool off

myfile.xls will be created in your local directory.

Play with the "set" command at the beginning, i don't remember all of them, to suppress extra output.

HTH
    Al

Re: How to run a job on Unix

Thanks Alberto.

GS

Originally posted by alberto.dellera
    1) type 'man crontab' on the unix shell prompt - that's the online document - i don't remember the exact syntax of cron. Or search www.google.com for 'crontab how-to'

To send the commands to Oracle:

sqlplus user/password@database @my_script.sql

2) Dump as a CSV (Comma Separated Value), and open it using excel, something like (in a script like my_script.sql)

set pages 0
    set trimspool on
    set echo off
    set feedback off

spool myfile.xls

select col1 || ',' || col2 || ',' col3 from your_table;

spool off

myfile.xls will be created in your local directory.

Play with the "set" command at the beginning, i don't remember all of them, to suppress extra output.

HTH
    Al