Unanswered: Setting up listner in Oracle 9i

How do i setup the listner.ora file and create accounts to access the db? I'm new to Oracle, so please forgive me for asking how to do this, but i've searched everywhere and couldnt not find an answer that applies to my question. I'm taking a class on sql and all i want to do is some basic data manipulation. I've tried messing around w/ "Oracle Enterprise Manager," but i have no idea what i'm doing. Please Help. Thank you.

Re: Setting up listner in Oracle 9i

if you just want to run a default listener, run the command lsnrctl start
    you do not need any configuration for the 'default listener'
    for any customisation you have to edit the file $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora
    But please note: the listener doesn't care of any account on the DtabaBase! you have to create users/schemata on the database!
    ^/\x

Thx for reply. I've tried that before and this is the error i get:

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

Failed to start service, error 3.
    TNS-12536: TNS: operation would block
    TNS-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error
    TNS-00506: Operation would block
    32-bit Windows Error: 997: Unknown error

I know the service has been created because i see it in my services control panel. It has been set to automatically start at startup, but this is the error whenever i try to access the db through Oracle Enterprise Manager(OEM).

"ORA-12541: TNS:no listener"

When i manually start the service i get:

"Could not start the ORacleOracleHomeTNSListener service on Local Computer. Eror3: The System cannot find the path specified."

I was able to connect to the db through dos by performing the following commands:

c:\> set oracle_sid=
    c:\> sqlplus /nolog
    SQL> connect scott/tiger

That allowed me to create/modify tables, but i would like to have it setup so that i could use OEM to perform those tasks. Please let me know what i must do to fix my problem. Thank you for your help
    Last edited by nestlee; 10-13-03 at 23:02.

it seems you try to start the NAMES server? (which is an equivalent to DNS in IP-world).
    but I guess you want to start the LISTENER ?

if you really wantto start the NAMES server, you have to install it first (is not installed in standard-installation): OUI - "Oracle Enterprise Edition" - "Custom" - "Oracle Names"

if you only want to start the LISTENER use the apropriate service.

As I'm not familiar with the NAMES Server this answer might be totally wrong, if this is the case excuse me, please.
    ^/\x

hi,

if u can use the net 8 config assistant and the net8 assistant to set up the listener correctly.
    U didn't mention the version of oracle and if u created the database manually or that the database was created for u.
    The error also might indicate a problem caused by installing the service and oracle as an other user than the user trying to start the listener.
    Please provide us with more info.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

evanhattem, Thank you for the reply.

I'm using version 9i on winxp. I'm new to sql/oracle so i had the db automatically created during installation. I used the net config assistant to reconfigure the listener, but that did not help. I took a look at the net8 assistant, but i'm not sure what i'm suppose to do. Here's a screen of the listener details as shown on the net manager.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails netassist.jpg  

hi,

can u attach the files tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and listener.ora to a new post or the content ?Are u connected to the machine as the user who installed oracle or as a different user?
    The fact u was able to connect was because u connect through sqplus and not SQL*Plus and connected locally, so u did not use nor need the listsner.

What is the error when u start the listener using the services from the control panel ?

Greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

yes i'm connected to the machine as the user who installed oracle. Here are the files as requested:

***listener.ora***

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\Oracle9i\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = EVA_UNIT_1)(PORT = 1521))
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle9i)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = cs514)
    (SID_NAME = cs514db)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = OEMREP.sd.cox.net)
    (SID_NAME = OEMREP)
    )
    )

***sqlnet.ora***

# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\Oracle9i\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

***tnsnames.ora***

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\Oracle9i\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

CS514 =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = cs514)
    )
    )

INST1_HTTP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = SHARED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
    (PRESENTATION = http://HRService)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

The error i get when trying to manual start the listener is as follows:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oraservice.jpg  

hi,

do u have multiple installations of oracle products ?
    did u delete or move any directories from the oracle tree ?

greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

hello,

I uninstalled Oracle 9i a few weeks ago and reinstalled it last week; however, i installed it to the same exact folder that it was previously installed to. So i guess there is only 1 instance of an oracle product on my machine. I didnt delete anything from the tree, but i didnt install Oracle to the default directory it specified.

hi,

it looks like the listenerservice is trying to locate a file, but is not able to find it. Can u tell us the names of the oracle homes on your machine (find them in the registry : hkey_local_machine\software\oracle. They are calles HOME0, HOME1 etc in the registry keys and in that tree u can find the homename)
    Please check the name of the home u installed 9i the last time with the value of the ORACLE_HOME environment variable by opening acmd box and type SET ORACLE_HOME.

Search the registry for the key : OracleOracleHomeTNSListener or your machine and compare the value of the ImagePath variable with your folder on the filesystem. Make sure the value of the registry variable is valid.

Hope this helps.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Hello, after opening a cmd box and typing SET ORACLE_HOME, i received:

"Environment variable ORACLE_HOME not defined"

I searched the registry and compared the value of the TNSListener matches with the value of the ImagePath. I wasnt quite sure what you were asking for when talking about the name of homes, but here's a screen shot of the values displayed under Home0(which is the only home under oracle).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails orahome.jpg  

hi,

can u search the registry completely for the string OracleOracleHomeTNSListener on your computer.
    Besides that u can try the folowing:
    open a cmd box type: set ORACLE_HOME=D:\Oracle9i

and then in the same cmd box start the listener.
    If the listener starts, u don't have to search the registry, then we found our problem.

Let me know, greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

edit your SQLNET.ora file to add this line:
    NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = sd.cox.net <--if that is you domain which it seems it is

comment out: #SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

in your LISTENER.ora file:

change the host to your actual IP of your machine instead of machine name.

why is your global db name and sid name different? They should probably both be the same which my guess should be: CS514

edit TNSNAMES.ORA file:

change: (SERVICE_NAME = cs514)
    to: (SID = cs514)
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Provided Answers: 11
    It is a bit hard to say which path the listener service can not find. Is the path correct when you go to the OracleListener service, right click, and see the path on the General tab? If that is correct, then maybe the path to the TNSLISTENER.ORA file is not correct? Love those Windows error messages...