Unanswered: Major corruption of a 2000 mdb ...

Hi all.

This one is a poser ... I've got an Access 2000 DB that went war-wacky yesterday that I'd like to be able to get into ... Problem: It's password protected and I can enter the password but when I try to attempt the compact & repair it pops up a "Not a valid password" prompt and stops. It accepts the valid password as part of the open process ... Any ideas other than how screwed I am???? Thanks!

Re: Major corruption of a 2000 mdb ...

Have you tried removing the password and seeting a new one after the compact?

Originally posted by M Owen
    Hi all.

This one is a poser ... I've got an Access 2000 DB that went war-wacky yesterday that I'd like to be able to get into ... Problem: It's password protected and I can enter the password but when I try to attempt the compact & repair it pops up a "Not a valid password" prompt and stops. It accepts the valid password as part of the open process ... Any ideas other than how screwed I am???? Thanks!
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Andy,

At this point I can't get the DB to come up ... I'd love to be able to change the password ... I've tried to do a compact and repair a couple different ways with no success ... I think this bugger is DOA.

$%*&## ... That's right. It just happened again ... I had the "clean" database get wacked ... I'm still trying to figure out how/why this is going on ...

Details: backend DB is running on a remote server connected to an DSL line that is maxxed out ... Frontend is a local DB using ADO for all connectivity to the backend. There are no links between front and backends. There is about 20-30 users at any time using the DBs and probably 40 users who have the programs setup.

Security: The backend DB is password protected. The password security is crippled by what is corrupting the DB such that compact & repair can't even be run.

My nightmare continues ...

Found some good luck!!!! ... Another detail on the data accessing scheme I use: Both the client and back-end DBs use a DSN for connectivity and communication. When you open the DSN for configuration there is both an option to Repair and to Compact ... GUESS WHAT! It worked. Those ODBC Repair and Compact utilities did the job and got her running again.

Futher update:

Well it looks like there was/is some hardware issues too ... The server took a dump yesterday. Who know how long it was in it's death throes ... Putting the DB file on a different physical section of the HD seems to help.