Unanswered: Sybase Performance

We have 29GB development database on Sybase 12.0 on the Windows NT server. Configuration is as follows:
    Windows NT Server
    40 GB Hard Disk Drive
    512mb RAM
    1 GHz P-III Single Processor
    Acton ENZ07D Series PCI Ethernet Network Card
    Paging Size 1MB (Virtual Memory)

When more than 5 people connect to the database from the client application ( using Borland Delphi Native Driver)it becomes tremendously slow.

My questions are
    1>What should be the minimum configuration required for such database size and users.
    2>Is there any way we can improve the speed.

Re: Sybase Performance

Originally posted by Vaishali Panse
    We have 29GB development database on Sybase 12.0 on the Windows NT server. Paging Size 1MB (Virtual Memory)
    I'm sure you mean 1GB of SWAP!!!

Whatever you do at the ASE level will only marginally impact performance. You really need a bigger, better machine to run a 29GB Dataserver.....

That is right its 1 GB swap.Can you please let me know the minimum configuration requred for 29gb/20 users database.

Thanks.

I'm sure there is a techdoc put forth by Sybase, also part of discussions in Techwave's. Unfortunately. I don't have it bokk marjed and can't find it either on Sybase site. Contact your Sybase local rep in your region.

Maybe you should Fine-tune your Database like check-out if u need to index your table for faster sql queries and also use show plan to determine if your SQL Script is using table select etc ..

also ASE 12.0 uses row level locking check out if your database design is in row level locking format .

Your Problem may be in your Front-end application or your database design..

There are about a million (ok, maybe a thousand) things to check. As others have said check for index use etc. but with such a big database you're going to do *tons* of physical I/O with such tiny amounts of RAM. Beefing up to several GB would help a ton!
    Thanks,

Matt