Question Unanswered: Jobs and Packages and Logins Failing

I am finished with my project and all I need is to figure out this error so please help.

We have 2 servers. One webserver with sql2000 at a remote location accessed thru VPN and another on the local network with same configuration.

On the local machine I scheduled a package to upload TableA to the remote sql server every hour. BUT when the job runs it FAILS because it says that:

"Error string: Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Help file: Help context: 0 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147467259 (80004005); Provider Error: 18452 (4814) Error string: Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. "

Now I know that this means that the remote server it is connecting to is rejecting my login. But this job is executing a package on thje LOCAL machine that in turn is uploading data to the remote machine. The package runs successfully without the schedule but not with a schedule.

Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks

Check account permissions for sql agent on your local machine.

Originally posted by snail
    Check account permissions for sql agent on your local machine.

where is that?

Originally posted by jesus4u
    where is that?
    Server/Management/SQL Server Agent/Right click/Properties/General

Originally posted by snail
    Server/Management/SQL Server Agent/Right click/Properties/General
    ok by default it is the System account. So what do I do now?

ok by default it is the System account. So what do I do now?
    System account does not have permissions for network - you need domain account - ask your sysadmin about it.

I am sorrry I am not that good with SQL permisions. The owner of the job is set to an account that is a System Admin on both servers and I still get the same error.

Now what?

I am sorrry I am not that good with SQL permisions. The owner of the job is set to an account that is a System Admin on both servers and I still get the same error.

Now what?
    Is is not about sql permissions - about domain or network remissions.

BOL:

Starting SQLServerAgent Service

The service startup account defines the Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 or Windows® 2000 account in which the SQLServerAgent service runs. This information defines the network permissions of the SQLServerAgent service. These are the available options:

System account
    The system account is the built-in local system administrator account. It is a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, and is therefore a member of the sysadmin role within Microsoft SQL Server™.

Use System account if your jobs require resources from the local system only.

This account
    This account enables you to specify in which Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 domain account SQLServerAgent runs. The domain account that you specify must be a member of the sysadmin role on the local instance of SQL Server.

Use This account if:

You want to forward events to the application logs of other computers running on the Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 operating system.

Your jobs require resources across the network, including replication resources.

You want to notify operators through e-mail or pagers.

hmm...thanks for finding that for me. So it DOES appear that I have to create a user account that is on both servers and have the agent start up under that same account on both servers?

hmm...thanks for finding that for me. So it DOES appear that I have to create a user account that is on both servers and have the agent start up under that same account on both servers?
    Something like this