Unanswered: SQL Server halts network traffic...

We have a Windows 2000 server with SQL Server 2000 that we recently moved to the web. It initially had an internal IP address and was re-configured with an external IP. Once we made that change, after about 2 hours, the entire network would loose connectivity to the web. Seems that the firewall was blocking all connections. Further inspection revealed that SQL Server 2000 was causing the problem. The SQL process was taking most of the CPU and seemed to be sending small requests every few seconds. Could not shut down the service. Always have to kill the process using a third party tool. Once the process was killed, all web connectivity resumed. Any idea what could be causing this? This is what we did to troubleshoot the problem but without success:

1- install SQL SP3
    2- reinstall SQL Server after network setting were reconfigured
    3- install Windows 2000 SP4
    4- complete reinstall of Windows and SQL Server

Please let me know if I can provide any more information. BTW, we've since installed SQL Server 7 because we are doing UAT with a client and everything is fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Provided Answers: 11
    It certainly smells like SQL Slammer, except for the part about installing SP3 not helping. Was all of the firewall traffic on port 1434 UDP?

Re: SQL Server halts network traffic...

This sounds very similar to the problem I was having. You might try to edit enableserverpolling in your registry.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Polling Invertals Modify - EnableServerPolling Change the value from 1 to 0. This worked for me!
    Good Luck.

Originally posted by mikebell
    We have a Windows 2000 server with SQL Server 2000 that we recently moved to the web. It initially had an internal IP address and was re-configured with an external IP. Once we made that change, after about 2 hours, the entire network would loose connectivity to the web. Seems that the firewall was blocking all connections. Further inspection revealed that SQL Server 2000 was causing the problem. The SQL process was taking most of the CPU and seemed to be sending small requests every few seconds. Could not shut down the service. Always have to kill the process using a third party tool. Once the process was killed, all web connectivity resumed. Any idea what could be causing this? This is what we did to troubleshoot the problem but without success:

1- install SQL SP3
    2- reinstall SQL Server after network setting were reconfigured
    3- install Windows 2000 SP4
    4- complete reinstall of Windows and SQL Server

Please let me know if I can provide any more information. BTW, we've since installed SQL Server 7 because we are doing UAT with a client and everything is fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike