Unanswered: changing a txtbox to a cbo in a form

I created a form using the wizard
    The datasource is tblEmp
    the table has an empName and 12 y/n fields, one for each month.

I right clicked on the txtbox for the empName and changed to a cbo.
    I thought that being the cbo had employee as the datasource for the field
    that when i opened the cbo i would then be able to choose an emp from the list,
    but there was only 1 emp (the one previously show)

I know if i do expression bldr i can do select *
    but! each time i change the selection in the cbo will all the other control then reflect the
    data related to that SPECIFIC emp? or do i need to push and or pull from the cbo?

Pls what is the diff from push and pull they both seem to work the same for me.

M~

Smile Re: changing a txtbox to a cbo in a form

Originally posted by mikezcg
    I created a form using the wizard
    The datasource is tblEmp
    the table has an empName and 12 y/n fields, one for each month.

I right clicked on the txtbox for the empName and changed to a cbo.
    I thought that being the cbo had employee as the datasource for the field
    that when i opened the cbo i would then be able to choose an emp from the list,
    but there was only 1 emp (the one previously show)

I know if i do expression bldr i can do select *
    but! each time i change the selection in the cbo will all the other control then reflect the
    data related to that SPECIFIC emp? or do i need to push and or pull from the cbo?

Pls what is the diff from push and pull they both seem to work the same for me.

M~
    I think what you're thinking of is the Control Source (which field in your employee table that the cbo is bound to). If you scrolled through the different records in your form you should see the value change to different employees.

What you need to do is set the Row Source for the combo box. Next to the RowSource there is a (...) symbol. You can use this to open up the QBE grid and build an SQL statement that will become the RowSource for the combo box.

You will need to set several other properties as well before it will act the way you want it to.

As an alternative you could just turn on the wizard in the tool box and let it help you through it.

I would suggest that you investigate the settings and use of the combo box in the help topics first. It's not that bad.

Hope this helps.

Gregg