Unanswered: How to re-install 8.1.7

Hi, all,

I've encountered some problem in upgrading 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 (can't write BIN\ora*.dll) . Now I know why this problem happened. (upgrading in terminal service, and Oracle has serious bug about Win2k terminal service) I know some of the core files (ora*.dll) might be in different version (some are 8.1.6, and some are 8.1.7), and I need to re-install 8.1.7 again.

But when I inserted the 8.1.7 install disk and tried to re-install the database, it just install one package that is not important. I prefer to re-install all database. Can anyone tell me how to trick the install disk so that it wil install the whole database application ?

Thanks in advance.

Scottie.

Following can be followed for a clean installation

Uninstall Oracle using the Oracle Universal Installer
    Delete the older installation (You could take a backup of the old database files, init file etc which are required

Remove the Oracle entries from the Windows registry
    under Local M/C->Software->Oracle

Then go for the install, it should work

HTH
    Arvind

after you get Oracle reinstalled you can put all of your data, control and init files back where they were and use the oradim command to create the services again, as long as everything is back where it was before (according to the control file) you should be be okay.

Just be sure not to run oradim from a terminal server session (even in remote admin mode) as it will more than likely not run correctly, run it from the console.

You'll probably also have to run scripts like catalog.sql and catproc.sql (and probably some others) to bring your instance to the 8.1.7.x level (depending on what patch set you install).
    Last edited by drew; 10-15-03 at 10:05.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

another piece of advice...

ALWAYS do a full cold backup of your Oracle file structure (ie. shutdown all instances as well as services like the listener) as well as perform a full export of your instances before doing any kind of upgrades like this. You may even want to export the Oracle portion of the registry to a file.

This is important even in a test environment (to get you in the habit of doing it), but even more so on a production system. The more recovery options you give yourself, the better.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Thanks for the advices. I'll give it a try.

I think I learn a lot in this situation, and I won't make such silly mistake again.

Thanks again.

hi,

the best and cleanest way i learned using oracle, is use oradim to delete all available instances. Go to the registry and delete the oracle key located in hkey-local-machine\software\oracle. Then check out the registry for any oracle keys left and delete them (be sure that u have all processes stopped).
    Delete everyhting from oracle on the file system.
    Reboot the machine et voila, u have a clean machine.

Be sure that u backup the registry before u do this.

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst