Unanswered: Shrinking Transaction Log

I have overestimated my transaction log file size. Now I want to reduce it by going into Database Properties but I am unable to do so. Is it possible to reduce the log size. Please advise.

Re: Shrinking Transaction Log

You can use the Shrink Database option from the All tasks menu. Use the Shrink files [Files] to choose the Log file.

Originally posted by vivek_vdc
    I have overestimated my transaction log file size. Now I want to reduce it by going into Database Properties but I am unable to do so. Is it possible to reduce the log size. Please advise.

The log file is made up of active and inactive segments. Segments are made inactive by backing the log file up. The log file will only shrink from the end of the file backwards. Therefore if the last segment in the log file is active, it will not shrink. To check this you can do a dbcc loginfo - active segments have a status of 2.

If you carry out dummy updates, inactive segments will be reused, carry out another log backup, check dbcc loginfo. If the active segment is not at the end of the log file, then you can shrink to that point.

Hope this is reasonably clear
    Regards
    Dbabren

Re: Shrinking Transaction Log

Originally posted by vivek_vdc
    After the log has been backed up do..

DBCC SHRINKFILE

Look up the syntax in BOL