Hi Everyone,

I am running MySQL 4.0.1 and am trying to get the IN BOOLEAN MODE feautre of the FULLTEXT search function to work properly. Below is a sample query:

SELECT RANKING,TITLE,EXCERPT,URL,MATCH(AUTHOR,TITLE,EXCER PT,ANNOT,KEYWORDS) AGAINST ('"hello world" +history +science museum method* -scientific' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AS SCORE FROM directory_new WHERE MATCH(AUTHOR,TITLE,EXCERPT,ANNOT,KEYWORDS) AGAINST ('"hello world" +history +science museum method* -scientific' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND RANKING!='0' ORDER BY SCORE,RANKING DESC LIMIT 0,20;

I would expect this query to search the FULLTEXT indexed fields above indicated above as...

Exact Words/Phrase: "hello world"
Required Words: history, science
Optional Words: museum
Truncated Words: method
NOT These Words: scientific

Unfortunately, I have done some testing and found the following using a number of scenarios. First, the Exact Phrase ("hello world") does NOT work. Second, none of the options seem to take multiple arguments (+history +science). Third, combining these options (required, NOT, etc..) does not produce the desired results.

I guess my question is does the query look correct for what I am trying to do? All the fields are FULLTEXT indexes and I am running 4.0.1 which supports IN BOOLEAN MODE. What could be wrong? What am I missing? Any ideas? I manually checked the search records to verify, but to no avail.

Many thanks for your insight!