Unanswered: Excel to Access and Back again via Web

I need a customer to click on a web link and it open an excel file. The data in the excel file will come from an access DB. Once the user opens the file and MAKES CHANGES I need the data to update in access (once again via the web).

On top of that I need to pass some sort of variable from ASP so Excel pulls the proper files for the customer that is logged in.

If anyone can help with any of this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Re: Excel to Access and Back again via Web

OK. I am now using FrontPages Web Component to pull the data out and using ASP variables to specify the data in a SQL statement.

I still am begging for assistance saving these results to an access database. Reading the web component code was not helpful at all. I was thinking of throwing an OnChange event to call a submit hidden form, but I cannot even tell where I would put the event. Not to mention there are 5 fields that need to be edited of which none are required.

Again, any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Excel to Access and Back again via Web

Originally posted by MarkTWeber
    I need a customer to click on a web link and it open an excel file. The data in the excel file will come from an access DB. Once the user opens the file and MAKES CHANGES I need the data to update in access (once again via the web).

On top of that I need to pass some sort of variable from ASP so Excel pulls the proper files for the customer that is logged in.

If anyone can help with any of this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.
    Major suggestion: Just make a Web page that kind of looks like Excel with rows and columns, etc. The first row's fields might be FName1, LName1, Company1. The second row's fields might be FName2, LName2, Company2...

And here is something else of interest:

Using the Eval and Execute Functions - 3/3/2000
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/030300-1.shtml
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

I'd have to agree with the above statement... however, if you are really keen to do this....

in theory you should be able to interface into the access db, create and execute a query, export the results to an excel file then open the excel file. Once the changes had been made you could have the user click a button to "upload" the changes from the excel to access.

Essentially this would all be done by using ASP to intereact with the Access components....

I haven't tried to do anything along this line for a very long time though as it would probably be alot harder and complex then it really needs to be (see the recommendation above).

If you want more info let me know and I will dig out some info on how to programaticly interact with Access....

The problem lies in the case that the recordset has more than 65k+ records. You cant view more than that.

Any work around.

Thanks in advance.
    water water everywhere and the boards did shirnk
    water water everywhere not a drop to drink

errgghhh,.. yeah, that Excel limit.... my advice on how to solve that, don't use excel to manage your data.... sorry...

Nice Iron Maiden quote btw.