Unanswered: Error 3343 Unrecognised database format

I am looking after an access database in a multi-user environment. The code and tables have been separated into different databases - code on C-drives for speed and tables on the network. The database is being used fairly heavily at the moment, and about once a day the users report Error 3343 Unrecognised database format.

Every time the problem occurs, I am able to repair the tables database using the Microsoft Access repair facility. However, this is very inconvenient, and I am concerned that one day the repair will not work.

Do you know why this should be happening repeatedly, and how to prevent it. Note that I am working with Access 2000 on Windows 2000, and the tables database is about 800Mb. Don't tell me that I need to move to SQL Server or something. The database is due to be superceded in a year's time - I just need to get the users through their busiest time of year.

AngelaD

I get that every time a user shuts down without closing the database or they have to reboot after several BSODs. Have you been able to pinpoint what everyone did just before the error occured?

Originally posted by jmrSudbury
    I get that every time a user shuts down without closing the database or they have to reboot after several BSODs. Have you been able to pinpoint what everyone did just before the error occured?
    Unfortunately, this is not caused by users shutting down without closing the database. Different users are carrying out different operatations when the problem occurs. This is happening at a time when the users are loading a lot of new data onto the database. An analysis of the disk on which the database resides was carried out. It turned out to be badly fragmented. This therefore looked like a possible cause of the problem, so we moved the database onto a different disk. Unfortunately, we are still getting the problem (but not so frequently). We have yet to analyse the new disk to see how fragmented it is.

Angela,

Access has a hard limit of 1 gig. You might be running into a problem with temp tables expanding the database past this threshold ...

Originally posted by M Owen
    Angela,

Access has a hard limit of 1 gig. You might be running into a problem with temp tables expanding the database past this threshold ...
    I might be getting confused, but I thought that the size limit for Access 97 was 1 Gb, and Access 2000 was 2Gb. I am working with Access 2000.

You thought right - Access 2000 is 2Gb