Unanswered: Copy rows from a table to a new one

Hi there,

I am using Oracle 9i with TOAD for the first time and hope someone can give me an advice.
    My problem:

I have a table SPECS with attributes (among others) ID, INP1, INP2, INP3, OUT1, OUT2, OUT3 what means that the number of INP/OUT is restricted to a max of 3.

In order to have as many INP/OUT as needed for each SPEC, I created a new table (SPECS_INFO) with attributes ID (foreign key from table SPECS) , SEQUENCE_NR, INPUT, OUTPUT where I want to copy the information from a row ID, INP1, INP2, INP3, OUT1, OUT2, OUT3 (at the SPECS table) to three rows of the new SPECS_INFO table:

For example:
    ID INP1 INP2 INP3 OUT1 OUT2 OUT3
    A1 CALL A CALL B CALL C ANSW A ANSW B ANSW C

TO

ID SEQUENCE_NR INPUT OUTPUT
    A1 1 CALL A ANSW A
    A1 2 CALL B ANSW B
    A1 3 CALL C ANSW C

Can someone tell me what is the best way to do it or maybe suggest another solution for my problem?

Thanks a lot,
    Fausto
    Last edited by fqueiroz; 10-17-03 at 11:22.

hi,

the best way is to use PL/SQL to do this. Use a cursor to retrieve all the rows in the SPECS table and using a loop insert the three(or more) records into the SPECS_INFO table. Be sure to commit frequently when u have a lot of rows.

Hope this helps.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Hi Edwin and thanx for your reply.

I understood your idea, but as I am doing this for the first time, could you be a little more specific on how to use PL/SQL - cursor to do this?

Thanx a lot,

Fausto